Svindal clinches super-G title
March 3, 2013
KVITFJELL, Norway (AP)- Aksel Lund Svindal clinched the World Cup super-G title on Sunday after winning his first race in Norway. The Norwegian edged Austria’s Georg Streitberger by 0.52 seconds to win in 1 minute, 29.79 seconds. Werner Heel of Italy ended third, 0.57 seconds back.
The victory gives Svindal an unassailable 480 points, ahead of Italy’s Matteo Marsaglia on 249 and Matthias Mayer of Austria with 228. In the overall standings, Svindal closed in on leader Marcel Hirscher with six races left. The Austrian has 1,215 points, while Svindal is second with 1,186.
Ted Ligety of the United States is third with 809.
Trending In: Sports
- Summit County police blotter: Cop stumbles on freshly-powdered nose
- Lake Tahoe weather: 3+ feet of snow blankets region; power outages begin
- Probation sentence for seven-time DUI offender highlights prosecutors’ frustration over recent law change
- Fremont Recpath receives $4 million in federal funds for construction
- Dog seriously injured after run-in with skier on Tiehack in Aspen