Team Summit Colorado dominates first age class race of the season
January 18, 2013
Team Summit Colorado hosted the first Bolle Age Class Race Series of the season at Breckenridge Ski Resort in early January, and emerged with 63 top 10 finishes, with 17 of those being podium results.
The Bolle Age Class Race Series is for young alpine ski racers ages 8-13 years old and is a U.S. Ski and Snowboard Association Rocky Mountain Division event. Nearly 160 athletes from Steamboat Springs, Crested Butte, Eldora and Breckenridge traveled to compete with Team Summit Colorado in four races on Breckenridge Ski Resort’s Cimarron Run on Peak 10.
There were plenty of nerves at the start of the first race of the busy competition season, and coupled with the cold January temperatures, it seemed there were plenty of obstacles to overcome. But the Team Summit athletes have been preparing for months leading up to this race since last season’s spring camps at Arapahoe Basin, summer race camps at Mount Hood, while leading into the regular season training at Copper Mountain and Breckenridge.
Soon, though, nerves disappeared as excitement prevailed.
The U10 boys and girls dominated the podium.
In a single race, Aiden Olsson, Dylan Smith and Michael DeBlois swept the podium while Meagan Brones left the weekend with four gold medals.
The U12 boys and girls also skied fast, with Michael Dudzic and Pete Dohr finding themselves frequently on the boys’ podium. Maddox Gayer landed herself two silver medals and one bronze and Helenka Ostasziewski stayed in the top 10 every race.
The U14 boys and girls had similar results. Peyton Brones won two races in addition to a second and a third. Megan Andersen had a top 10 finish every race.
A special thanks goes out to Breckenridge Ski Resort and all the volunteers that made the first race of the season a big success for Team Summit Colorado and all participating athletes and teams.
News from across the Web
Recommended Stories For You
Trending In: Sports
- Fourth of July weekend brings freedom from the ordinary with racing, fishing derbies for whole family
- X Games medalist Matt Ladley takes on ‘Amazing Race’
- Gallery: Tail-tap the sky at the Frisco Bike Park summer jump jam (photos)
- Results from 2017 Gold Run Rush, Keystone BME and Breck MTN Enduro
- Big Mountain Enduro at Keystone draws riders from across U.S.
- Summit County police blotter: Trouble with “Mexican Mafia” prompts jewelry theft
- Colorado’s multiplying moose moving eastward, running into people
- Summit County board approves West Hills workforce-housing project in Keystone
- Breckenridge ranked second-best small town to visit by U.S. News and World Report
- Gothard: It’s about safeguarding lives, not power plays (column)