Team Summit Colorado dominates first age class race of the season
January 18, 2013
Team Summit Colorado hosted the first Bolle Age Class Race Series of the season at Breckenridge Ski Resort in early January, and emerged with 63 top 10 finishes, with 17 of those being podium results.
The Bolle Age Class Race Series is for young alpine ski racers ages 8-13 years old and is a U.S. Ski and Snowboard Association Rocky Mountain Division event. Nearly 160 athletes from Steamboat Springs, Crested Butte, Eldora and Breckenridge traveled to compete with Team Summit Colorado in four races on Breckenridge Ski Resort’s Cimarron Run on Peak 10.
There were plenty of nerves at the start of the first race of the busy competition season, and coupled with the cold January temperatures, it seemed there were plenty of obstacles to overcome. But the Team Summit athletes have been preparing for months leading up to this race since last season’s spring camps at Arapahoe Basin, summer race camps at Mount Hood, while leading into the regular season training at Copper Mountain and Breckenridge.
Soon, though, nerves disappeared as excitement prevailed.
The U10 boys and girls dominated the podium.
In a single race, Aiden Olsson, Dylan Smith and Michael DeBlois swept the podium while Meagan Brones left the weekend with four gold medals.
The U12 boys and girls also skied fast, with Michael Dudzic and Pete Dohr finding themselves frequently on the boys’ podium. Maddox Gayer landed herself two silver medals and one bronze and Helenka Ostasziewski stayed in the top 10 every race.
The U14 boys and girls had similar results. Peyton Brones won two races in addition to a second and a third. Megan Andersen had a top 10 finish every race.
A special thanks goes out to Breckenridge Ski Resort and all the volunteers that made the first race of the season a big success for Team Summit Colorado and all participating athletes and teams.
Trending In: Sports
- Taming The Beavers: A-Basin’s Alan Henceroth talks about a landmark expansion
- Buried alive: Colorado Rapid Avalanche Deployment team inches closer to standard avy dog training
- Summit Nordic launches GoFundMe campaign for Lake Placid Jr. Championships
- ‘Writing the book’: On a ski bike at Keystone with Devin Lenz of Lenz Sports
- The Outsider: When should you remove a rod in your leg?
- Six-story hotel proposal hopes to “put Dillon on the map”
- Male skier, 43, dies after falling into tree well at Tahoe-area resort
- Probation sentence for seven-time DUI offender highlights prosecutors’ frustration over recent law change
- Lake Tahoe weather: 3+ feet of snow blankets region; power outages begin
- Trump administration puts recreational marijuana in crosshairs