Tough week for Tigers soccer team
September 23, 2013
The Tigers came out strong against Delta Saturday, but couldn't sustain the fight, falling to the Panthers 1-0.
"They played hard," Tigers head coach Tommy Gogolen said about his team's opponent. "Unfortunately our boys were just flat."
Summit managed to keep the ball in Panther territory for much of the first half.
Junior Alex Veleta led the charge with the Tigers' first big scoring opportunity at the 27:30 mark.
Another strong shot on goal was delivered by Tigers offense with around 18:30 to play in the half. The shot was followed by a corner kick and a near score by junior Greg Spaulding shortly after.
Going into halftime with the score knotted up at 0-0, it looked like the Tigers would eventually capitalize on a scoring opportunity. They came out strong in the second half, but Delta played determined and eventually took over control of the game.
With 27:30 left in the second, Delta's Abraham Ontiveros placed the ball just out of keeper Noah Glasco's reach and into the net.
A strong Panthers offense closed out the Tigers, keeping the ball in Tiger territory for much of the remainder of the game.
"This one is going to hurt," coach Gogolen said after the game.
It was a tough finish to a rough week for Summit boys soccer team after coming off another loss earlier in the week to soccer powerhouse Valor Christian. The Tigers fell to Valor in the final five minutes of the game, when the Eagles scored, breaking a 0-0 tie.
The losses put Summit at 3-3-1 on the season and 3-0-1 in league play, second behind undefeated Battle Mountain.
"We're going to have an uphill battle from here," Gogolen said regarding the teams goal of making it to the playoffs.
They'll be tested again this week when they head for a league showdown at Battle Mountain Tuesday.
Recommended Stories For You
Trending In: Sports
- Pro snowboarder Torstein Horgmo’s video log takes you to Copper Mountain’s public park
- Dear Drewbie: Enter a ‘Youathlon’ for mental health with events you love and just one winner — you!
- Your guide to Summit County’s best OHV and Jeep trails
- Breckenridge Hiking Trails: Mohawk Lake
- Skateboarders descend on Breckenridge for Battle on the Blue
- Colorado 14er for sale: Buy Culebra Peak in the Sangre de Cristo Range for $105 million
- After years of hiding, Summit County sheriff’s deputy proudly comes out as transgender
- Eagle man allegedly tried to beat to death female bartender at closing time
- Summit County visitor captures possible mountain lion screams on video in Keystone
- Photos: Peak 2 Fire burn area update