Triple Bypass road bike ride passing through this weekend
July 11, 2013
Get ready for close to 3,500 road bikers to pass through the county this weekend with the 25th annual Triple Bypass road ride, Saturday and Sunday. Avid road bikers with a penchant for punishment will be riding a 120-mile course, over three mountain passes, from Evergreen to Avon Saturday. The true masochists among them will then turn around and ride the course in reverse on Sunday as part of the Double Triple Bypass.
Participants have the option to ride the course in a single direction, or combine the two for a punishing 240-mile ride.
Those ambitious enough to attempt it will cover 10,000ft of elevation gain in a single direction. The course starts on Saturday in Evergreen. Riders will climb over 11,140 foot Juniper Pass first, then make their way over Loveland pass at 11,990 feet. From there they head down into Keystone and around Dillon Reservoir toward Frisco. From Frisco they jump on the Vail Pass Rec Path and head toward Copper, in preparation for the final big climb. up and over 10,560 foot Vail Pass enroute to Avon. Sunday reverses the course from Avon back to Evergreen. Organizers remind participants that this is a ride and not a race. Those riding need to be off the course by 8 p.m.
Circle the Summit ride returns in August
The sixth annual Circle the summit ride returns Aug. 17. Registration is still open for the 21, 45,60 and 100-mile courses. The ride is capped at 750 riders. Funds raised by Circle the Summit support biking projects throughout Summit County. Current projects include maintenance on the Vail Pass Rec Path, improved signage, and a future plan for paths in the Copper Mountain and Breck/Blue River area.
Recommended Stories For You
Trending In: Sports
- 660 tons of herring: The Anderson family fishing story, from Summit County to Chignik, Alaska
- The Outsider: Is Gaper Day at A-Basin on the decline?
- Dear Drewbie: Your feelings are what you eat (seriously) when it comes to mood and food
- Summit Youth Hockey sends 3 girls to USA Hockey National Championship Tourney
- New women’s Colorado Classic added to Pro Road Tour cycling calendar
- Clear Creek coroner: Loveland Ski Area ski patrol mishandled dead skier’s body
- Skier dies at Loveland Ski Area Friday
- Report: Faulty hardware, ‘human error’ led to fatal Flight for Life crash in Frisco
- Breckenridge roundabout and trolley updates hope to lessen congestion woes
- Wolf Creek Ski Area death March 25 confirmed as state’s 12th