USA Pro Challenge organizers pleased with race’s progress
August 6, 2015
The USA Pro Challenge is returning to Colorado next year.
Despite whispers in the amply rumor-milled cycling world, organizers behind the 3-year-old cycling race are committed to Colorado for the long term. Healthy crowds — organizers say there were more spectators than the previous two years of the race — and climbing television ratings indicate the race is finding its footing, despite losing money.
Race director Shawn Hunter already has designs on the 2014 route.
"This race is definitely coming back," he said.
Still, the privately funded USA Pro Challenge is laboring without a title sponsor and loses $2 million to $3 million per year. The race is funded by Quiznos founder Rick Schaden.
The race's business plan does not require a title sponsor.
Recommended Stories For You
Trending In: Sports
- First family of whitewater: Into roaring Browns Canyon with the Foleys of Performance Tours Rafting (video)
- Mountain Wheels: Second-generation Subaru Crosstrek aims at outdoorspeople (column)
- Couple’s connection to Courage Classic runs deep
- Colorado’s fourth 14er death of 2017 renews drive to educate hikers of risks
- Biff America: Six commandments we can all agree on (column)