USA Pro Challenge: Peter Sagan takes stage winding from Breckenridge to Steamboat
August 24, 2013
No. 2 ranked Slovakian Peter Sagan continued a strong performance with a Stage 3 win in the USA Pro Challenge. The stage finished with a pack of riders in tight sprint to the finish in Steamboat Springs today.
The top three competing for the general classification(G.S.) win, remained the same with Australian Garmin Sharp rider Lachlan Morton holding on to the Yellow Jersey. Mathias Frank from BMC is in second and Peter Sagan in third.
Jamis-Hagens Berman rider Matt Cooke, held on to the king of the mountain lead.
The pack came charging down the steep side of Rabbit Ears Pass at speeds of around 55 miles-per-hour on their way into Steamboat, with 41-year-old German Jens Voigt in the lead. Voigt built up a 2 minute 25 second lead on the pass but was unable to hold on. The peloton caught him on the final few miles of the stage.
Sky Procycling team general classification hopeful, American, Joe Dombrowski dropped out prior to the start of today's stage. The reason he dropped out is not known at this time. It was widely reported he had some nosebleeds during stage 1. He and his team, which includes Tour de France winner Chris Froome, arrived in Colorado the Wednesday prior to the start of the race.
Recommended Stories For You
Trending In: Sports
- Pro snowboarder Torstein Horgmo’s video log takes you to Copper Mountain’s public park
- Dear Drewbie: Enter a ‘Youathlon’ for mental health with events you love and just one winner — you!
- Breckenridge Hiking Trails: Mohawk Lake
- Skateboarders descend on Breckenridge for Battle on the Blue
- Your guide to Summit County’s best OHV and Jeep trails
- Colorado 14er for sale: Buy Culebra Peak in the Sangre de Cristo Range for $105 million
- Eagle man allegedly tried to beat to death female bartender at closing time
- Summit County visitor captures possible mountain lion screams on video in Keystone
- After 30-foot tumble off Mount Royal, 73-year-old woman able to shake it off
- Photos: Peak 2 Fire burn area update