Volleyball stunned to 4-11 record
October 12, 2012
Thursday night saw Summit’s girls’ volleyball team struggle, and fall.
In a match against Eagle Valley, the team lost in four sets, 17-25, 15-25, 28-26 and 18-25.
“We lost pretty bad,” head coach Liz Hughes-Waddick said. “It was a bad night for them, I think. There were a lot of unforced errors, missed serves. We’re not feeling very vindicated.”
Eagle Valley beat Summit on Sept. 20 in four sets as well.
The team had 41 attack errors versus 37 kills. Eleven service errors were racked up throughout the night.
On the bright side, the team did pass well, “which is what we’ve been working on,” Hughes-Waddick said. Defense also played relatively well, with Anna Zangari leading with 14 digs and the team tallying 43 digs on the match.
“It wasn’t about missing digs,” Hughes-Waddick said. “Our defense was OK. It was unforced errors on the offense … and hitting balls out of bounds.”
With Dakota Mendrick leaving the team, freshman Lexi Zangari stepped up as setter. Hughes-Waddick said she did well in the new position, but the rest of the team couldn’t put the pieces together against Eagle Valley.
They face Glenwood today on the road.
Recommended Stories For You
Trending In: Sports
- Skateboarders descend on Breckenridge for Battle on the Blue
- Pro snowboarder Torstein Horgmo’s video log takes you to Copper Mountain’s public park
- Your guide to Summit County’s best OHV and Jeep trails
- Dear Drewbie: Enter a ‘Youathlon’ for mental health with events you love and just one winner — you!
- Local Hiking Trails Summit: The magnificent amphitheater of Mayflower Gulch
- Colorado 14er for sale: Buy Culebra Peak in the Sangre de Cristo Range for $105 million
- Eagle man allegedly tried to beat to death female bartender at closing time
- Summit County visitor captures possible mountain lion screams on video in Keystone
- First family of whitewater: Into roaring Browns Canyon with the Foleys of Performance Tours Rafting (video)
- After 30-foot tumble off Mount Royal, 73-year-old woman able to shake it off