Weather holds for Summit Trail Running Series race
July 18, 2013
Summit Trail Running Series
July 31 Carter Park (10K and 15K courses)
August 14 French Gulch (5K and 10K courses)
August 28 Flumes/Tom’s Baby (5K and 12K courses)
With thunderstorms threatening, 148 area runners braved ominous conditions on Wednesday to get back out on the trail for the Summit Trail Running Series' Horseshoe Gulch 6K and 14K races.
With a 65 percent chance of rain in the forecast and light thunder rumbling in the distance, organizers decided to go ahead with the runs.
Brian Schaefer, with the Breckenridge Recreation Department, said that up to an hour before the start time, he was close to calling the race off when the clouds cleared.
"It was perfect conditions," said Greg Ruckman, 39, of Breckenridge, "really pleasant to run."
At 5:45 p.m. runners started off over rocky ground as the course weaved around the large tailings piles near the Dredge Boat, off Tiger Road.
Ruckman said the rocky start forced him to adjust his usual racing strategy. He jumped ahead of the pack as soon as he could, not wanting anyone in front of him on the uneven trail. The move made it easier for him to see obstacles ahead.
"I usually like to let someone else lead," he said, preferring to conserve his energy.
Instead, Ruckman took the lead and held it, finishing the 14K course first in 1 hour, 1 minute and 4 seconds.
"Yesterday was one of those times I could get some separation and get out there and enjoy it," he said.
For Ruckman, a former U.S. Olympic rower, it's the experience more than the competition.
"There's nothing as pure as a trail run. It reminds me of being a kid," he said. "If I were poetic I could share that feeling better."
April Thomas finished first among the women in 1 hour, 9 minutes, 29 seconds.
The Horseshoe Gulch course is the third in the six-race Summit Trail Running Series. It's also one of the longest. The series continues Wednesday, July 31, with the Carter Park races. Registration is open online for $17; same-day registration is $22.
Complete race results are available at http://www.townofbreckenridge.com. Remaining races in the Summit Trail Running Series: July 31, Carter Park (10K and 15K courses); August 14, French Gulch (5K and 10K courses); August 28, Flumes/Tom's Baby (5K and 12K courses).
Trending In: Sports
- Summit locals top podiums at Copper WinterBike, USATF Indoor Track National Champs
- The Outsider: When should you remove a rod in your leg?
- MCL tears are a common ski injury
- Back pain? Be gone with 7 yoga poses from physical therapists
- ‘Writing the book’: On a ski bike at Keystone with Devin Lenz of Lenz Sports
- Summit County police blotter: Cop stumbles on freshly-powdered nose
- Lake Tahoe weather: 3+ feet of snow blankets region; power outages begin
- Probation sentence for seven-time DUI offender highlights prosecutors’ frustration over recent law change
- Fremont Recpath receives $4 million in federal funds for construction
- Dog seriously injured after run-in with skier on Tiehack in Aspen