White among familiar Dew Tour faces
November 21, 2012
This year, the Dew Tour has just one winter stop, and it is Breckenridge.
The mountain resort’s quest to be the headquarters for awesome crowds and it’s devotion to quality terrain parks has made it the landing spot for the 2012 Dew Tour iON Mountain Championships. From Dec. 13-16, the world’s best skiers and riders will take to the skies for a chance to win the prestigious Dew Cup.
It will be the fifth year in a row that the Dew Tour sets up shop in Breckenridge, a feat that can say thanks, in part, to the Town of Breckenridge ponying up $97,000 in lodging expenses for tour staff and competitors. Town council members said the event provides enough promotional value to make it worth the investment. They also said the event helps drive business during what might otherwise be a slow weekend in advance of the Christmas holidays.
Confirmed athletes for the Breckenridge stop include Shaun White, Scotty Lago, Louie Vito, Tom Wallisch, Kelly Clark and Jamie Anderson. Colorado natives Eric Willett, Emilia Wint, Keri Herman, Bobby Brown and Gus Kenworthy are also slated to compete.
The 2012 tour included an August stop in Ocean City, Md., and an October leg in San Francisco before it finishes in Breckenridge.
New this year in the expanded and new sports and disciplines is the Ski and Snowboard Big Air, an event that has athletes showing off their biggest tricks on one massive jump.
Trending In: Sports
- Summit County police blotter: Cop stumbles on freshly-powdered nose
- Lake Tahoe weather: 3+ feet of snow blankets region; power outages begin
- Probation sentence for seven-time DUI offender highlights prosecutors’ frustration over recent law change
- Fremont Recpath receives $4 million in federal funds for construction
- Dog seriously injured after run-in with skier on Tiehack in Aspen