Winter still on at Copper Mountain with Woodward rail jam Saturday
July 4, 2014
Summer will be in full swing across most of Summit County this holiday weekend, but it will still be winter at Copper Mountain Resort on Saturday, July 5.
Woodward at Copper and GoPro will host a free on-snow — you read that right, on-snow — rail jam at the resort's Pavilion Park — located just above Center Village, where the halfpipe is set up in the winter.
"It's really exciting to be able to offer winter to our guests in the summer," resort spokeswoman Austyn Williams said, in part crediting the more than 29 feet of snow that fell on the mountain this winter.
On-snow features have been available in the past but are weather dependent. The resort can typically offer access to the outdoor park through sometime in July, conditions permitting, Williams said. In order to maintain park features, resort operations pushed large quantities of snow down the mountain at the end of the season.
This weekend's free GoPro Summer Rail Jam will kick off at 6 p.m. with skiers, followed at 7 p.m. by snowboarders.
Event registration is available in the Burning Stones Plaza one hour prior to the competition or online through the Copper Mountain and Woodward websites.
First-place finishers — male and female — will receive GoPro cameras. Second and third place will receive hats and other swag, including free sessions at Woodward.
The resort will have its Independence Day fireworks display following the competition at 9 p.m.
Woodward at Copper will continue to have on-snow public sessions in the Pavillion Park (rails only) every Saturday as snow conditions allow.
Guests can participate in a three-hour session for $25. Sessions are offered at 9 a.m. and again at 12:30 p.m.
During the week Woodward's summer camps also have access to the larger on-snow park located higher on the mountain — at the same location as the winter terrain park. The upper park includes jumps and other features but is available only to summer camps.
Public sessions in the Woodward Barn are also available throughout the summer on Saturdays and Sundays. The Barn is open for two-hour drop-in sessions on the facility's trampoline foam-pit jumps and BMX and skate features. Sessions are offered at 12, 2 and 4 p.m. daily.
Woodward will host youth day camps starting in August; current summer camps are weeklong programs.
More information and rail jam registration is available at both Woodward.com and CopperColorado.com
News from across the Web
Recommended Stories For You
Trending In: Sports
- Fourth of July weekend brings freedom from the ordinary with racing, fishing derbies for whole family
- X Games medalist Matt Ladley takes on ‘Amazing Race’
- Gallery: Tail-tap the sky at the Frisco Bike Park summer jump jam (photos)
- Results from 2017 Gold Run Rush, Keystone BME and Breck MTN Enduro
- Big Mountain Enduro at Keystone draws riders from across U.S.
- Summit County police blotter: Trouble with “Mexican Mafia” prompts jewelry theft
- Colorado’s multiplying moose moving eastward, running into people
- Summit County board approves West Hills workforce-housing project in Keystone
- Breckenridge ranked second-best small town to visit by U.S. News and World Report
- Gothard: It’s about safeguarding lives, not power plays (column)