Winter X Games: McMorris wins 2nd X Games slopestyle gold
January 27, 2013
ASPEN – With the his second consecutive gold medal already won, Canadian Mark McMorris pinned the accelerator with a massive triple-cork 1260 on the final hit of the X Games slopestyle course Saturday, earning 98 points, the highest score ever recorded in the contest.
“I came here to do the cab 12,” said the 19-year-old who Friday night won big air snowboard silver with the tremendous trick. “That was a long-term goal coming back here. I think I would have been fine with the other run, but it was a big goal of mine and it was nice to reach it.”
Shaun White, staging a comeback in slopestyle after sitting out two seasons to focus on superpipe, bobbled in his final two runs, knocking him out of contention and finishing fifth. Under gray, flat skies, the superstar blew a routine 1080 on his second run and caught an edge on a basic 270 on the top rail.
Recommended Stories For You
Trending In: Sports
- Summit Black dominates Tigers’ girls rugby tourney
- Best fall hikes for aspen leaves in Summit County (before they’re gone!)
- Prep roundup: Summit senior earns ‘well-deserved’ trip to state golf tournament
- Mountain Wheels: Acura’s sporty TLX seeks a high-altitude boost (review)
- The Outsider: When should you remove a rod in your leg?
- Man who fatally crashed into Lake Dillon was driving 60 mph, possibly intoxicated, report says
- Mountain Town News: How to keep Yellowstone’s supervolcano from blasting
- Eastbound lanes of Interstate 70 near Vail will close Friday morning to remove crashed semi
- High Country Crime: Man arrested after report of masturbation in Miller Ranch Open Space in Edwards, sheriff’s office says
- Top 6 drives to see fall foliage near Breckenridge, Colorado (video)