Winter X Games: McMorris wins 2nd X Games slopestyle gold
January 27, 2013
ASPEN – With the his second consecutive gold medal already won, Canadian Mark McMorris pinned the accelerator with a massive triple-cork 1260 on the final hit of the X Games slopestyle course Saturday, earning 98 points, the highest score ever recorded in the contest.
“I came here to do the cab 12,” said the 19-year-old who Friday night won big air snowboard silver with the tremendous trick. “That was a long-term goal coming back here. I think I would have been fine with the other run, but it was a big goal of mine and it was nice to reach it.”
Shaun White, staging a comeback in slopestyle after sitting out two seasons to focus on superpipe, bobbled in his final two runs, knocking him out of contention and finishing fifth. Under gray, flat skies, the superstar blew a routine 1080 on his second run and caught an edge on a basic 270 on the top rail.
Trending In: Sports
- Summit’s Hanna Markel makes D-1 women’s hockey debut with University of Minnesota-Duluth
- Slaying the first North American superpipe at the 2016 Rev Tour in Copper Mountain (photos and video)
- U.S. Revolution Tour returns to Copper with slate of national, international halfpipe hopefuls
- 4 winter sports to burn calories and have a blast
- Dew Tour cancels modified superpipe with Danny Davis, Kelly Clark for 2016
- Merchants in Breckenridge to pay for customer parking validations
- Summit County mulls deed-restriction exceptions
- Housing Divided, Part 12: Renters vulnerable in disputes with landlords
- Summit County locals open French-inspired bistro on Breckenridge Main St.
- Breckenridge puts new water plant on hold after getting $50 million estimate