Winter X Games: McMorris wins 2nd X Games slopestyle gold
January 27, 2013
ASPEN – With the his second consecutive gold medal already won, Canadian Mark McMorris pinned the accelerator with a massive triple-cork 1260 on the final hit of the X Games slopestyle course Saturday, earning 98 points, the highest score ever recorded in the contest.
“I came here to do the cab 12,” said the 19-year-old who Friday night won big air snowboard silver with the tremendous trick. “That was a long-term goal coming back here. I think I would have been fine with the other run, but it was a big goal of mine and it was nice to reach it.”
Shaun White, staging a comeback in slopestyle after sitting out two seasons to focus on superpipe, bobbled in his final two runs, knocking him out of contention and finishing fifth. Under gray, flat skies, the superstar blew a routine 1080 on his second run and caught an edge on a basic 270 on the top rail.
Recommended Stories For You
Trending In: Sports
- In 1st girls lacrosse meeting, Tigers tame Devils
- Summit soccer finds groove too late in home loss to Eagle Valley, 1-3
- The Outsider: Is Gaper Day at A-Basin on the decline?
- The Outsider: When should you remove a rod in your leg?
- Summit girls lacross wins 3 in a row, plus Tigers baseball and track results
- Breckenridge businesses facing discipline over December drug bust
- Storm set to break Summit County’s dry spell with as many as 7 inches predicted Thursday
- Mysterious Aspen ski rental contract may relate to Trumps
- Summit County works to dispel rumors in the immigrant community
- Summit County daycare teachers to get free health care access