Aspen Journalism, a local nonprofit organization, obtained the video of the fatal plane crash on Jan. 5, by way of a Colorado Open Records Act request to the Aspen-Pitkin County Airport. The video has appeared on websites throughout the world. "Together, the video feeds from the five infrared cameras show the jet's engines firing just before touching down, as if the pilot was trying to abort the landing at the last second," wrote Aspen Journalism. "The plane then bounces hard off the runway, leaps into the air and comes in hard nose-first before bursting into flames. The video also shows a rescue vehicle quickly responding to the crash." All three passengers aboard the Challenger CL-600 were pilots. One of the co-pilots was killed, while the other two were hospitalized with injuries.
Video shows Jan. 5 plane crash at Aspen-Pitkin County Airport
Trending in: Columns
- Mountain Wheels: All-new Ford Mustang revs up the sex appeal
- 18-year-old cadet dies after skiing accident at Keystone Resort
- Longtime Colorado business repeatedly tangles with wage enforcement system
- Snowy Peaks High School labeled as turnaround school, applies three improvement strategies
- Wounded Warrior Project brings vets to Keystone for adaptive skiing