Bird: Withstanding the Cruz coup
October 17, 2013
Now it's our turn. Our president and party has held the line against the Cruz confederacy. Ultimately the people we send to office are the people we vote for so the blame or credit falls on our shoulders.
We must not send another tea party extremist to Washington. Re-elect Senator Udall, a good man, who was solely responsible for saving our son's life in Iraq. Rich was given 3 years to live from his wounds but is now going on 4 year. Though disabled he is getting to watch his children grow and is very active in helping the vets.
Locally we must return Gov Hickenlooper, we cannot take a chance on turning this beautiful progressive state into the likes of another North Carolina, Texas, Alabama, et al. Restricting voting rights for certain groups who may have served their country, are disabled, elderly or otherwise adversley restricted is just plain wrong.
Making it more difficult for a woman to recieve the proper healthcare she requires is equally egregious. Having a wife, three daughters, one having a bout with skin cancer, a 37-year-old daughter in law who just underwent a double masectomy and hysterectomy, another young daughter-in-law who needs a kidney transplant makes a pretty good argument for being able to maintain quality and affordable health care for women.
The draconian, hateful, obstructive tea party must be stopped. They have ruined the republican party I was once a member of. We must continue to assist the poor and less fortunate of our society. Remember we were not created equally, but made equal under the law. Let us respect that.
W. Gerald Bird, Jr.
Recommended Stories For You
Trending In: Letters to the Editor
- Girvin: Breckenridge’s endangered Reiling Dredge should die a dignified death
- Breckenridge parking garage will only increase downtown traffic (letter)
- Breckenridge, Vail Resorts bungling parking problem (letter)
- Letters: Breck Ski Resort COO talks parking improvements, Frisco residents concerned over zoning
- Newkirk: Breckenridge Town Council on the right transit track (column)
- Colorado 14er for sale: Buy Culebra Peak in the Sangre de Cristo Range for $105 million
- First family of whitewater: Into roaring Browns Canyon with the Foleys of Performance Tours Rafting (video)
- Mountain Wheels: Second-generation Subaru Crosstrek aims at outdoorspeople (column)
- Biff America: Six commandments we can all agree on (column)
- Colorado couple’s connection to Courage Classic runs deep