Clarke: Miners Creek clear-cutting needs more discussion
January 25, 2014
Regarding the Jan. 16 Summit Daily News article about proposed logging in the Miners Creek drainage.
There is widespread concern about this type of clear-cutting. It has destroyed outdoor experience in several areas already (Frisco Peninsula, Gold Hill). Since Summit County's economy is all about aesthetics and tourism, shouldn't this be thought out a bit? The areas designated have lots of live timber in them that provide wildlife habitat. Must they all be clear-cut? In many parts, the wildfire mitigation is questionable, as there are no residences nearby or clear-cutting has already been done. At the very least, couldn't a hiking, biking, skiing corridor be left along the Peaks Trail? Could we please have a work session on this?
Recommended Stories For You
Trending In: Letters to the Editor
- Faces of Hope, Part 1: Frisco mother still coming to terms with her son’s 2006 suicide
- Summit High School honors seven ’17 senior scholars
- Historic Frisco cabin to be disassembled after sagging under years of snow
- Peak School in Frisco awards diplomas to first graduating class
- Frisco Colorado BBQ Challenge music lineup announced