Cochran: Let the Forest Service serve
April 21, 2014
These past few weeks I've been reading several letters by people against logging in Summit County. If I remember correctly the Forest Service kowtowed to public pressure in the 1970s and stopped logging, even though the pine beetle was making its way to the high country. In fact, logging pretty much was eliminated all over the state about then when it could have helped reduce the widespread forest devestation that we all now see.
I think we ought to let the Forest Service folks do their jobs. Utlimately they want a healthier forest. These are people that have gone to school and learned about healthy forests, and more than likely have managed and worked in other forests. I doubt they took classes that focused on how to tick people off and cut down trees for the hell of it. This isn't their first dance!
I say let the Forest Service people do the job they are paid to do and studied to do! They've trained to manage our forests, let them do it.
Recommended Stories For You
Trending In: Letters to the Editor
- Silverthorne construction fatality may have been caused by equipment blind spot, inspectors say
- Goar: Vail Resorts leading the charge to address housing crisis (column)
- Silverthorne celebrates opening of $9M performing arts center
- Knopf: Why does Colorado make it so hard for immigrant to get driver’s licenses? (column)
- Blue River group recasts hopes of golden fishing designation