Cochran: Let the Forest Service serve
Ryan Summerlin April 21, 2014
These past few weeks I’ve been reading several letters by people against logging in Summit County. If I remember correctly the Forest Service kowtowed to public pressure in the 1970s and stopped logging, even though the pine beetle was making its way to the high country. In fact, logging pretty much was eliminated all over the state about then when it could have helped reduce the widespread forest devestation that we all now see.
I think we ought to let the Forest Service folks do their jobs. Utlimately they want a healthier forest. These are people that have gone to school and learned about healthy forests, and more than likely have managed and worked in other forests. I doubt they took classes that focused on how to tick people off and cut down trees for the hell of it. This isn’t their first dance!
I say let the Forest Service people do the job they are paid to do and studied to do! They’ve trained to manage our forests, let them do it.
Trending In: Letters to the Editor
- Letters: Breck Ski Resort COO talks parking improvements, Frisco residents concerned over zoning
- Summit Daily letters: Is there life before death?
- Summit Daily letters: Dillon’s outsized amphitheater project
- Summit Daily letters: Vote no on physician-assisted suicide in Colorado
- Summit Daily letters: The side effects of ColoradoCare