Costanza: Marijuana mania mars Breckenridge’s family friendly image
August 28, 2014
Marijuana mars Breck’s image
I was appalled to see the front page of the Summit Daily on Aug. 27.
I haven’t said anything before but have commented on how this paper is advertising pot in every issue. This one though brags about pot bolstering tourism, which is not the picture we should be putting out there as Breckenridge has always in the past advertised the town as family oriented.
Families want to bring young children up here not for pot but for what we offer in the way of outdoor activities. Now you can’t walk down Main Street without smelling pot and seeing young people under the influence of it. Now they are making even more money on cannabis tours and posting photos glamorizing it.
What wasn’t mentioned was the increase of homeless people who are sleeping all over town and in the woods around the county. The shelters are overflowing in Denver. Is this the image you really want for Colorado?
There are people out there now who will not buy a home here because they do not want to live in Colorado.
Please stop glamorizing pot and instead focus on the beauty of our area and the many outdoor activities available for family fun.
Trending In: Letters to the Editor
- Summit Daily letters: Former DA Mark Hulbert endorses Bruce Carey
- Summit Daily letters: What do federal income taxes pay for?
- Summit Daily letters: A Democrat rallies for Republican Woodman
- Summit Daily letters: Problem-solving courts, a modern approach to justice
- Summit Daily letters: Doctors against Amendment 69