Gietzen: Helmets off to Summit County firefighters and emergency crews
Ryan Summerlin September 23, 2013
I’d like to thank Chief Ryan Roberts for organizing and offering the Citizens Fire Academy (CFA) and to all of the many others from the Lake Dillon, Red White and Blue and Copper Mountain fire departments and also the Summit County Ambulance Service, who assisted with the program.
The CFA educated ordinary laypersons on a variety of aspects about firefighting and emergency medical service, rescue and care — among many other things. The two month, ten session academy gave CFA enrollees a diverse sampling of some of the elements and issues that these professionals dedicate their energy, careers and lives towards. As part of the class, participants also got to take part in plenty of live and engaging, hands-on training, covering a variety of scenarios, tasks, skills and strategies.
Over the course of the CFA I had the opportunity to speak with, train with and learn from dozens of these professionals, each having their own unique talents, perspectives and personalities. All were eager and interested to participate by sharing their time, knowledge and personal stories and accounts.
Besides the knowledge that I gained and the fun that I had, I also left with a greater appreciation for and confidence in Summit County’s emergency services responders and care providers. It was a great and highly interesting experience. Thanks again!
Trending In: Letters to the Editor
- Letters: Breck Ski Resort COO talks parking improvements, Frisco residents concerned over zoning
- Summit Daily letters: Dillon’s outsized amphitheater project
- Summit Daily letters: Is there life before death?
- Summit Daily letters: The side effects of ColoradoCare
- Summit Daily letters: The trials, troubles and tribulations of the triathlon
- Housing Divided, Part 2: Summit’s most vital workers live elsewhere
- Breckenridge town council rebuts claim it reneged on parking garage promise
- Truck stolen from Wildernest winds up on Baldy Road in Breckenridge
- Kelly Samuels: 1969 – 2016
- Amaya’s ex-wife says they tried exorcism of him two years before double homicide