Gloudemans: Not sending your child to Silverthorne Elementary doesn’t mean you’re a racist
February 14, 2014
Re: Tanya Kanning's Feb. 12 letter to the editor, " Consider sending your child to a neighborhood school."
Discrimination: "the unjust or prejudicial treatment of different categories of people or things".
By categorizing all families who chose schools other than Silverthorne Elementary into a group who did so based on issues of class or race, and to do so because the majority of the families are white, seems to be the definition of discrimination.
As parents, we have had to make some tough decisions. We looked closely at the situation; compiled as many facts as possible, thought long and hard on what was best for our kids, then made a decision and crossed our fingers, hoping it was the correct one. However, none of the decisions we made involved race or class.
“Me? I’m a hypocrite. But I am not without hope. We all need to look within. Look at our own actions
— at what we do, not what we say.”
Tanya is correct; most of us will be sending our kids to the same middle school one day. Please don't allow Tanya's discrimination to influence how you feel about me and my family. There are plenty of reasons, other than race and class, to dislike me.
Recommended Stories For You
Trending In: Letters to the Editor
- Breckenridge Lodging Association against retail marijuana in downtown core
- Enderlin: U.S. Forest Service should avoid repeating Gold Hill clearcutting
- Jordan: Breckenridge is growing up — fast
- Shand: Current Breckenridge sign code provides equal playing field
- Summit Daily letters: A low blow from Vail Resorts
- After years of hiding, Summit County sheriff’s deputy proudly comes out as transgender
- The people of Summit County have spoken: They want a Chick-fil-A
- Vail Resorts unhappy as Breckenridge eyes $8.9 million parking garage for Tiger Dredge
- Eagle bar will close earlier, beef up security in wake of Monday attack on bartender
- Summit County police blotter: Tequila-fueled Tinder date ends in robbery