Hendricks: No excuse for off-leash dogs
October 28, 2013
The juxtaposition of the story by Mr. Foltz and the Breckenridge investigation of a possible pit bull breed ban in Friday's Summit Daily was, I am sure, unintentional. Mr Foltz's story provided a perfect example of why it isn't the breed of the dog but the incredible sense of entitlement that some dog owners exhibit in our county.
Dogs should be on leashes. Full Stop. There is no excuse to allow your dog to run free outside of a dog park or other fenced area. Period. Allowing a large mixed breed dog off leash is unconscionable. Individual dogs will run game, packs will run game to exhaustion. In ranch country a dog running game will run stock and such a dog would be shot on sight. That is the cruel truth.
The dog owner involved in the deplorable attack during the bike race had been cited several times before for allowing his dogs to run and for harboring aggressive animals. Had he been properly dealt with the dogs would have been taken before the attack and he would have faced much stronger sanctions.
Dog ownership brings responsibility. Too many people aren't willing to bear that burden.
Recommended Stories For You
Trending In: Letters to the Editor
- An apology from former Krystal 93 host (letter)
- Cacace: The changing facts of Ophir Mountain clear-cutting
- Summit Daily letters: A low blow from Vail Resorts
- Summit Daily letters: County flow control proposal raises questions
- Summit Daily letters: Frisco Town Council rushes to build superblock on Main Street
- End of an era: Arapahoe Basin volunteer ski patrol program finished after at least 4 decades
- Breckenridge eatery to serve suspension over employee cocaine bust case
- Friends of the Lower Blue River welcomes new director
- Summit County slammed by spring storm, I-70 an ‘utter mess’
- Colorado River levels mostly unaffected by lastest snowstorm