Irvine: Millie Hamner down on gun rights?
July 24, 2013
Hamner down on guns
At a Summit County Legislative forum State Representative Millie Hamner defended her anti-Second Amendment voting record noting "…we don't call it 'gun control', we call it 'gun safety'."
The "we" Rep. Hamner is referring to must NOT be the law-abiding, 2nd Amendment-defending House District 61 constituents. Perhaps "we" is her liberal establishment donors which include New York Mayor Michael Bloomberg.
Rep. Hamner went on to say that the gun bills were about "public safety not restricting anyone's rights" and "If I thought anything we were doing was in violation of the Constitution I wouldn't have voted for it."
Rep. Hamner voted against CO HB13-1048. This bill extended the right to use deadly force against an intruder under certain conditions to include owners, managers, and employees of businesses.
Whose rights and safety did Rep. Hamner have in mind when she voted against HB1048 — the business owner, employee trying to earn a living or the perpetrator?
54 Colorado Sheriffs have taken a bold stand as to the constitutionality of recently passed gun laws. These Sheriffs include HD61 Sheriffs of Summit, Delta, Gunnison and Lake counties (3 Republicans, 1 Democrat). The Judicial system will have a say.
Additionally, the Constituents of House District 61 will have the opportunity to voice their dismay at the polls in November 2014.
Recommended Stories For You
Trending In: Letters to the Editor
- Breckenridge parking garage will only increase downtown traffic (letter)
- Breckenridge, Vail Resorts bungling parking problem (letter)
- Letters: Breck Ski Resort COO talks parking improvements, Frisco residents concerned over zoning
- Newkirk: Breckenridge Town Council on the right transit track (column)
- Skinner: Vail Resorts limiting its liability with smoke shacks
- Colorado 14er for sale: Buy Culebra Peak in the Sangre de Cristo Range for $105 million
- First family of whitewater: Into roaring Browns Canyon with the Foleys of Performance Tours Rafting (video)
- Eagle man allegedly tried to beat to death female bartender at closing time
- Biff America: Six commandments we can all agree on (column)
- Mountain Wheels: Second-generation Subaru Crosstrek aims at outdoorspeople (column)