Johnston: An ideology of guns and Jesus don’t mix
July 11, 2014
Re: “Serving up a big helping of Second Amendment,” Monday, June 30:
I wonder what happens at Shooters when a customer complains about the food or the service or doesn’t leave a big enough tip. More importantly, I have to wonder what brand of Christianity Lauren Boebert embraces. Not the brand that Jesus Christ lived and died for, that’s for sure.
Guns and Jesus? For truly Christian people, that phrase is a sacrilege. Remember Jesus’ words to the follower who cut off the ear of one of the soldiers who had come to arrest him: “Put your sword away. Those who live by the sword will die by the sword.” (Mt. 26:52). Remember St. Paul’s proclamation: “God’s power lies in the powerlessness of the cross.” People of authentic Christian faith are fearless. They don’t depend on the false security gun ownership provides. They don’t need to.
Trending In: Letters to the Editor
- Summit Daily letters: Readers reject Morgan Liddick’s appraisal of Castro
- Summit Daily letters: Recycling take-aways and Frisco history on the move
- Summit Daily letters: Telling the full story of the recycling issue
- Summit Daily letters: Breckenridge traffic snarls caused by pedestrians
- Summit Daily letters: School district thanks voters and recycling gets real