Melton: Summit Daily News has descended into marijuana madness
February 27, 2014
Enough weed in our rag
I think I speak for a lot of people, and not just in the states of Colorado or Washington, who are terribly dismayed and angry that each time one opens up your "rag" (and that is exactly what it is), there are pages filled with pot adverts and pot articles that are rammed down the reading public's throat.
I don't wonder at questions I am asked over here in the United Kingdom (I also live in Summit County) about what idiocy the American state and federal lawmakers have come up with now. To us, it is like reading our Daily Mail — all gossip and no substance.
What I have found most distressing is that none of you care what type of image you are projecting across the globe — the word laughingstock comes to mind — and that you are incredulous as to why U.S. banks refuse to do business with these shops. By federal law, they cannot, and should not. This is a state law, and just because you want it (or feel entitled to it, as is your nature) does not mean that a bank has to involve your cannabis-backed business on their balance sheets. I am in the bank's corner for once at not renewing loans and/or leases. There was no thought as to the long-term problems and consequences that have occurred thus far (and worse is yet to come) with the passage of Amendment 64. Lawmakers are making up the rules as they go along.
I read your paper for entertainment, for something mindless that makes no matter.
Recommended Stories For You
Trending In: Letters to the Editor
- Girvin: Breckenridge’s endangered Reiling Dredge should die a dignified death
- Breckenridge parking garage will only increase downtown traffic (letter)
- Breckenridge, Vail Resorts bungling parking problem (letter)
- Letters: Breck Ski Resort COO talks parking improvements, Frisco residents concerned over zoning
- Newkirk: Breckenridge Town Council on the right transit track (column)
- Colorado 14er for sale: Buy Culebra Peak in the Sangre de Cristo Range for $105 million
- First family of whitewater: Into roaring Browns Canyon with the Foleys of Performance Tours Rafting (video)
- Mountain Wheels: Second-generation Subaru Crosstrek aims at outdoorspeople (column)
- Biff America: Six commandments we can all agree on (column)
- Colorado couple’s connection to Courage Classic runs deep