Miller: The battle of the sexes goes on in Summit Daily News advertisements
Ryan Summerlin December 24, 2013
Anything you can do, I can do better
While paging through the Dec. 18 Summit Daily, I came across an advertisement at the top of page 7 which greatly took me aback. The ad, for Summit Chiropractic and Rehab, featured the image of a couple snowshoeing, with the woman slightly ahead of the man. The text read, “Is your girlfriend out-performing you? We can help you get a head start.” This insinuated that the only way a woman could ever out-perform a man is if the man has something wrong with him! Needless to say, I was both offended and infuriated. Here it is, almost 2014, and women are still being degraded and insulted like this. As a woman with a master’s degree in physics, I have a great deal of experience being in the minority, but I also know that I have achieved what many men will never be able to do. Further, as a gymnast in high school, I even beat a few boys at arm wrestling. Whether it be mentally or physically, women are completely capable of out-performing perfectly healthy men. In light of this ad, if I ever sustain an injury requiring a chiropractor or rehabilitation, I definitely know where I will not be going.
Trending In: Letters to the Editor
- Letters: Breck Ski Resort COO talks parking improvements, Frisco residents concerned over zoning
- Summit Daily letters: Dillon’s outsized amphitheater project
- Summit Daily letters: Is there life before death?
- Summit Daily letters: The side effects of ColoradoCare
- Summit Daily letters: Vote no on physician-assisted suicide in Colorado
- Suicide rate in Summit County reaching record levels
- Summit School District works toward medical marijuana policy for students
- Kelly Samuels: 1969 – 2016
- Best fall hikes for aspen leaves in Summit County (before they’re gone!)
- Election 2016: Health care professionals raise concerns about Amendment 69; supporters say it will cure state’s health care ills