O’Brien: Summit County child care costs ‘utterly ridiculous’
December 4, 2013
I find it interesting that no one is questioning the unbelievably high costs of the child day care — only who is going to pay for it. A Nov. 27 article states $1600 per month for 2 children for 3 days per week childcare. That is utterly ridiculous. I would think that local government and parents should be questioning these rates and not squabbling over subsidizing or not subsidizing the costs.
This $1600 comes out to $ 61.54 per child per day or $9600 per child per year. What could possibly justify these fees? If this is the norm in Summit County, something is very, very wrong. Here in Summit we pay higher prices for almost everything to be able to live and enjoy this great place we live but a line needs to be drawn sometimes. Parents need to be able to afford to work.
I know all parents want the best available day care for their child but there should be some kind of control over what providers can charge so parents can afford quality care without being gouged or having to ask for subsidies.
Trending In: Letters to the Editor
- Summit Daily letters: Former DA Mark Hulbert endorses Bruce Carey
- Summit Daily letters: What do federal income taxes pay for?
- Summit Daily letters: A Democrat rallies for Republican Woodman
- Summit Daily letters: Problem-solving courts, a modern approach to justice
- Summit Daily letters: Doctors against Amendment 69