O’Brien: Summit County child care costs ‘utterly ridiculous’
December 4, 2013
I find it interesting that no one is questioning the unbelievably high costs of the child day care — only who is going to pay for it. A Nov. 27 article states $1600 per month for 2 children for 3 days per week childcare. That is utterly ridiculous. I would think that local government and parents should be questioning these rates and not squabbling over subsidizing or not subsidizing the costs.
This $1600 comes out to $ 61.54 per child per day or $9600 per child per year. What could possibly justify these fees? If this is the norm in Summit County, something is very, very wrong. Here in Summit we pay higher prices for almost everything to be able to live and enjoy this great place we live but a line needs to be drawn sometimes. Parents need to be able to afford to work.
I know all parents want the best available day care for their child but there should be some kind of control over what providers can charge so parents can afford quality care without being gouged or having to ask for subsidies.
Trending In: Letters to the Editor
- Summit Daily letters: A low blow from Vail Resorts
- Summit Daily letters: With flow control comes rising costs for trash hauling
- Summit Daily letters: Fat bike feuds and continued carnage on the ski slopes
- An apology from former Krystal 93 host (letter)
- Summit Daily letters: Abandoned dog poop is pollution
- Summit County police blotter: Cop stumbles on freshly-powdered nose
- Lake Tahoe weather: 3+ feet of snow blankets region; power outages begin
- Probation sentence for seven-time DUI offender highlights prosecutors’ frustration over recent law change
- Fremont Recpath receives $4 million in federal funds for construction
- Dog seriously injured after run-in with skier on Tiehack in Aspen