Opinion from Hill: Dupuy’s column on masturbation and abortion is embarrassing
June 24, 2013
Absurd opinion on a touchy subject
Re: Tina Dupuy's column in the June 22 edition of the SDN.
Absurdity ad infinitum is one way of describing Tina Dupuy's opinion. Continuing her opposition to the Republicans, she takes Texas representative Michael Burgess (a former OB/GYN doctor) to task concerning a sonogram of a 15-week baby and his comments, "If they're a male baby, they may have their hands between their legs [implying masturbation]. If they feel pleasure, why is it hard to believe they could feel pain." She quotes Joycelyn Elders 1994's statement, "Masturbation is something that is a part of human sexuality…" along with perennial candidate Christine O'Donnell statement in a 1990 MTV documentary: "The Bible says that lust in your heart is committing adultery. So you can't masturbate without lust." From this Dupuy arrives at the following conclusion: "[This is] the GOP's latest attempt to troll the Supreme Court into re-visiting Roe v. Wade…But now, at least one [O'Donnell] is warming up to masturbation. Yes, Burgess is claiming fetuses do the thing Republicans regard as a mortal sin to try to nationalize women's bodies and take women's rights back a century or so.
Dupuy's grasping at straws. Masturbation is not a rally cry concerning Roe v. Wade or women's rights. It is an activity practiced by both sexes so how can it be said it only affects the male baby [fetus] and not the female? If all humans have equal rights to their sexual orientation and preference when do such rights begin at birth or before; and, who determines if in utero solo sex is real?
Absurdity ad infinitum, that's what Dupuy's opinion leads to. So when do we stop grasping at straws and start dealing with more than the "M Word" used as political ammo for Democrats and Republican to shoot at each other? Come on Tina, give it a break.
Recommended Stories For You
Recommended Stories For You
Trending In: Letters to the Editor
- Summit County firefighters rescue cat from lodgepole pine (letter)
- Callison: Morgan Liddick’s very long list of dislikes
- Gordman: With marijuana on Main, Breckenridge gets risk but no reward
- Letters: Supporting the candidates for sheriff, district attorney
- Silverthorne Town Council letters of endorsement
- Colorado gem hunters are back near Alma mine that was once a mother lode of rhodochrosite, the official state mineral
- Vail Resorts to buy The North Face and Columbia stores in Breckenridge
- Rescued Silverthorne hiker recounts how he survived 80 hours lost in Colorado 14er backcountry
- Hate ski boots but love to ski? This Colorado company created a way to allow skiers to wear snowboard boots
- Girl who fell from Hotel Colorado fights for life, regained consciousness but in ‘extremely critical’ condition, mom says