Opinion from Nixon and almroth: We stand with Nancy MacDowell
July 1, 2013
Standing with Nancy
This letter is in support of Nancy MacDowell. Our family has known her since our kids were in kindergarten at Frisco Elementary school when she was the media specialist. Our twins were in a large and eclectic class that became notorious for being challenging on many levels. We were surprised to see MacDowell as their 5th grade teacher, having switched jobs with the previous instructor, and taking on this particular group for her first assignment.
Our twins thrived in her class. One was awarded "5th Grade Reader of the Year" and the other awarded "Outstanding 5th Grade Boy" from the Summit-Lake Dillon Optimists. Both went on to advanced classes in middle school. It was my pleasure to see her in action on many occasions throughout the school year and for several days photographing and interviewing her class for their year book. She had tamed this wild bunch and the mutual respect everyone displayed for each other still overwhelms me.
When I asked one of my soon to be 8th graders about his memories of MacDowell, he replied, "She was good. No, she was pretty good." High praise from a 13 year old and reinforces our community's loss caused by a mandated objective only firing decided with inconclusive evidence.
Tim Nixon and Shelly Almroth
Recommended Stories For You
Trending In: Letters to the Editor
- Breckenridge Lodging Association against retail marijuana in downtown core
- Enderlin: U.S. Forest Service should avoid repeating Gold Hill clearcutting
- Summit Daily letters: A low blow from Vail Resorts
- Summit Daily letters: Former DA Mark Hulbert endorses Bruce Carey
- Summit Daily letters to the editor: A breath of fresh air and reefer madness
- After years of hiding, Summit County sheriff’s deputy proudly comes out as transgender
- Summit County visitor captures possible mountain lion screams on video in Keystone
- The people of Summit County have spoken: They want a Chick-fil-A
- Eagle man allegedly tried to beat to death female bartender at closing time
- Photos: Peak 2 Fire burn area update