Opinion from Nixon and almroth: We stand with Nancy MacDowell
July 1, 2013
Standing with Nancy
This letter is in support of Nancy MacDowell. Our family has known her since our kids were in kindergarten at Frisco Elementary school when she was the media specialist. Our twins were in a large and eclectic class that became notorious for being challenging on many levels. We were surprised to see MacDowell as their 5th grade teacher, having switched jobs with the previous instructor, and taking on this particular group for her first assignment.
Our twins thrived in her class. One was awarded "5th Grade Reader of the Year" and the other awarded "Outstanding 5th Grade Boy" from the Summit-Lake Dillon Optimists. Both went on to advanced classes in middle school. It was my pleasure to see her in action on many occasions throughout the school year and for several days photographing and interviewing her class for their year book. She had tamed this wild bunch and the mutual respect everyone displayed for each other still overwhelms me.
When I asked one of my soon to be 8th graders about his memories of MacDowell, he replied, "She was good. No, she was pretty good." High praise from a 13 year old and reinforces our community's loss caused by a mandated objective only firing decided with inconclusive evidence.
Tim Nixon and Shelly Almroth
Recommended Stories For You
Trending In: Letters to the Editor
- Callison: Morgan Liddick’s very long list of dislikes
- Summit Daily letters: Colorado ski laws favor reckless snow-thugs
- Summit Daily letters: A low blow from Vail Resorts
- Summit Daily letters: Abandoned dog poop is pollution
- Summit Daily letters: ColoradoCare, Breckenridge parking and government spending
- Breckenridge businesses facing discipline over December drug bust
- Breathalyzer fraud allegations could derail Summit County DUI cases
- Historic preservation is a mixed bag in Summit — “lots of places have disappeared.”
- Top 5 most-read stories on the Web
- High Country crime: Aspen area woman accused of ski theft — again