Opinion: Save Iron Springs from Highway 9 expansion
June 12, 2013
Preserve Iron Springs
The Iron Springs area is a fragile environment. In June, it is alive with wildflowers, animals and recreational users enjoying a bike path. The new plan for the area will put in a four-lane highway, destroy wildlife and damage the springs — all for the sake of a faster route to Breckenridge.
As a speaker for the voiceless members of our community, we are not in favor of this proposal. Leigh Girvin, of the Continental Divided Land Trust, said in a June 10 Summit Daily article that she sees the benefit to the community. Which community?
I do believe we are back to the popular song made famous by Joni Mitchell: “They paved paradise and put up a parking lot.”
Trending In: Letters to the Editor
- Summit Daily letters: Recycling take-aways and Frisco history on the move
- Summit Daily letters: Telling the full story of the recycling issue
- Summit Daily letters: A step back for Summit County recycling
- Summit Daily letters: Breckenridge traffic snarls caused by pedestrians
- Summit Daily letters: School district thanks voters and recycling gets real