Opinion: Save Iron Springs from Highway 9 expansion
June 12, 2013
Preserve Iron Springs
The Iron Springs area is a fragile environment. In June, it is alive with wildflowers, animals and recreational users enjoying a bike path. The new plan for the area will put in a four-lane highway, destroy wildlife and damage the springs — all for the sake of a faster route to Breckenridge.
As a speaker for the voiceless members of our community, we are not in favor of this proposal. Leigh Girvin, of the Continental Divided Land Trust, said in a June 10 Summit Daily article that she sees the benefit to the community. Which community?
I do believe we are back to the popular song made famous by Joni Mitchell: "They paved paradise and put up a parking lot."
Recommended Stories For You
Trending In: Letters to the Editor
- Amped up: Dillon begins work on $8.4M upgrade to town’s premiere performance venue
- Wolverine returning to Colorado? Federal bureaucracy stands in the way
- Colorado’s fourth 14er death of 2017 renews drive to educate hikers of risks
- Your guide to Summit County’s best OHV and Jeep trails
- Breckenridge unveils new Alpine Camp at Epic Discovery fun park