Opinion: Save Iron Springs from Highway 9 expansion
June 12, 2013
Preserve Iron Springs
The Iron Springs area is a fragile environment. In June, it is alive with wildflowers, animals and recreational users enjoying a bike path. The new plan for the area will put in a four-lane highway, destroy wildlife and damage the springs — all for the sake of a faster route to Breckenridge.
As a speaker for the voiceless members of our community, we are not in favor of this proposal. Leigh Girvin, of the Continental Divided Land Trust, said in a June 10 Summit Daily article that she sees the benefit to the community. Which community?
I do believe we are back to the popular song made famous by Joni Mitchell: "They paved paradise and put up a parking lot."
Recommended Stories For You
Trending In: Letters to the Editor
- Girvin: Breckenridge’s endangered Reiling Dredge should die a dignified death
- Breckenridge parking garage will only increase downtown traffic (letter)
- Breckenridge, Vail Resorts bungling parking problem (letter)
- Letters: Breck Ski Resort COO talks parking improvements, Frisco residents concerned over zoning
- Newkirk: Breckenridge Town Council on the right transit track (column)
- Colorado 14er for sale: Buy Culebra Peak in the Sangre de Cristo Range for $105 million
- First family of whitewater: Into roaring Browns Canyon with the Foleys of Performance Tours Rafting (video)
- Mountain Wheels: Second-generation Subaru Crosstrek aims at outdoorspeople (column)
- Biff America: Six commandments we can all agree on (column)
- Colorado couple’s connection to Courage Classic runs deep