Opinion: Save Iron Springs from Highway 9 expansion
June 12, 2013
Preserve Iron Springs
The Iron Springs area is a fragile environment. In June, it is alive with wildflowers, animals and recreational users enjoying a bike path. The new plan for the area will put in a four-lane highway, destroy wildlife and damage the springs — all for the sake of a faster route to Breckenridge.
As a speaker for the voiceless members of our community, we are not in favor of this proposal. Leigh Girvin, of the Continental Divided Land Trust, said in a June 10 Summit Daily article that she sees the benefit to the community. Which community?
I do believe we are back to the popular song made famous by Joni Mitchell: "They paved paradise and put up a parking lot."
Recommended Stories For You
Trending In: Letters to the Editor
- Girvin: Breckenridge’s endangered Reiling Dredge should die a dignified death
- Summit Daily letters: A case against Summit County shut-downs
- Summit Daily letters: A low blow from Vail Resorts
- Dispelling myths about sexual assault in Summit County (letter)
- Gribbin: Vote for JoAnne Nadalin in Silverthorne town council race (letter)
- Summit County police blotter: Trouble with “Mexican Mafia” prompts jewelry theft
- Colorado’s multiplying moose moving eastward, running into people
- Breckenridge ranked second-best small town to visit by U.S. News and World Report
- Summit County board approves West Hills workforce-housing project in Keystone
- Gothard: It’s about safeguarding lives, not power plays (column)