Opinion: Save Iron Springs from Highway 9 expansion
Ryan Summerlin June 12, 2013
Preserve Iron Springs
The Iron Springs area is a fragile environment. In June, it is alive with wildflowers, animals and recreational users enjoying a bike path. The new plan for the area will put in a four-lane highway, destroy wildlife and damage the springs — all for the sake of a faster route to Breckenridge.
As a speaker for the voiceless members of our community, we are not in favor of this proposal. Leigh Girvin, of the Continental Divided Land Trust, said in a June 10 Summit Daily article that she sees the benefit to the community. Which community?
I do believe we are back to the popular song made famous by Joni Mitchell: “They paved paradise and put up a parking lot.”
Trending In: Letters to the Editor
- Letters: Breck Ski Resort COO talks parking improvements, Frisco residents concerned over zoning
- Summit Daily letters: Dillon’s outsized amphitheater project
- Summit Daily letters: Is there life before death?
- Summit Daily letters: The side effects of ColoradoCare
- Summit Daily letters: The trials, troubles and tribulations of the triathlon
- Housing Divided, Part 2: Summit’s most vital workers live elsewhere
- Breckenridge town council rebuts claim it reneged on parking garage promise
- Truck stolen from Wildernest winds up on Baldy Road in Breckenridge
- Kelly Samuels: 1969 – 2016
- Amaya’s ex-wife says they tried exorcism of him two years before double homicide