Pierson, Obamacare is a good thing, how?
December 30, 2013
In response to Judee Cathrall’s letter to the editor – I think I missed something. Obamacare is a good thing? It is my understanding that the intent of Obamacare is to make sure that everyone has health insurance. What about all of the people that have lost their health insurance? What about the people that cannot sign up on the Obamacare exchange. What about the “large deductibles and out-of-pocket expenses” you quote.
It would seem to me that Obamacare is not a good thing if everyone has “insurance” but can’t use it, has “insurance” but can’t afford it, has “insurance” but everyone living in Summit county has to drive to a different county to receive hospital care that is non-emergency; has “insurance” but you need to drive to a different county to have a baby; has “insurance” but you need to drive to a different county to have out-patient-surgery and testing done. Where is the good thing? If you had insurance before, St. Anthony’s accepted the insurance as payment. People without insurance paid cash. What has changed is that people with insurance now can’t get medical service. Maybe the hospital can’t afford the large deductibles and the out-of-pocket expenses.
If you think that people on Medicare and Medicaid are in excellent shape, you didn’t look at the “new” provisions of treatment very closely.
And there are no grandfathered insurance plans, only those that Obama gave a one-year exemption to so that not every person in the U.S. would find their healthcare canceled or costs increased dramatically before the 2014 elections. My challenge to you is to show me the “good thing” about Obamacare!
Trending In: Letters to the Editor
- Summit Daily letters: A low blow from Vail Resorts
- Summit Daily letters: With flow control comes rising costs for trash hauling
- Summit Daily letters: Abandoned dog poop is pollution
- Summit Daily letters: Breckenridge parking, recycling fixes and altitude adjustments
- Summit Daily letters: Breckenridge’s new $52 million ‘tink & drink’ water plant
- Breckenridge police issued shelter in place warning due to barricarded individual
- Smell of weed in Denver leads feds to bust of Nebraska marijuana network
- After devastating injuries, Chris Hawks returns to the slopes as a coach
- Healthy economy, cheap gas prices mean more trips to Summit — and more traffic fatalities
- Mountain Town News: Snow and ice can kill just outside your door (column)