Sims: Mountain lingo de-mystified
February 16, 2014
The mountains are chock-full of colloquialisms that often draw blank looks from those unfamiliar with "High Country culture." That said, numerous members of the Keystone Lodge and Spa staff collaborated on a handy encyclopedia of terms that are thrown around in daily conversation. Enjoy!
• Backcountry booter: a handmade jump that is found outside of ski area boundaries
• Bomb: straight-lining down a slope
• Booter: a jump
• Dude: a male or female partner in crime, oftentimes a fellow shredder or skier.
• Dump: steady snowfall that often enlists the excitement for potential blizzard conditions, therefore the slight potential for "pow pow"
• Epic: another level of cool
• Face-shots: the act in which a skier or rider carves into a powder stash and kicks up a spray that douses his or her face with snow
• Gaper: a tourist who gapes, in jaw-dropped amazement at the scenery
• Huck: to launch oneself off a cliff or jump without regard to one's physical well-being. See "send it"
• Jib: usually small hits in the trees that have been made out of fallen logs
• Nuke: a blizzard that produces blinding whiteout conditions and enlists the random "whoop!" from across the hill. Definite "pow pow" is in the forecast
• Puke: a snow squall that produces heavy snowfall with big flakes, often foreshadowing "pow pow" and the appearance of "powder hounds" and "weekend warriors"
• Powder hound: those in search of the perfect powder stash
• Pow pow: fresh powder, also known as "freshies"
• Point it: when a skier or rider makes the smallest number of turns going down a steep run so as to gain as much speed as possible
• Rip: ski/ride like a boss
• Safety meeting: a "pre-game" that often includes a joint and/or spirits of the organizer's choice
• Send it: to launch oneself off a cliff without regard to one's physical well-being. See "huck"
• Shred: to ski or ride in an enviable way
• Sick: see "epic"
• Stash: powder (as in snow) that is hidden from general knowledge
• Steezy: snowboard trickery that encapsulates "style" and "ease"
• Suitcased: when a skier/rider lands a booter so hard that his or her body bends at the waist so far that face hits knees
• Texas tuck: when skiers position themselves in a full racing tuck position unnecessarily, typically seen on a blue or green run
• Throw a gainer: a back flip off a jump, cliff, rock, crest, etc.
• Tight: excellent, cool, awesome
• Tomahawk: digging the nose of a snowboard or skis deep into the snow, causing the rider to flip head over heels down the hill
• Weekend Warrior: Denver-ites who come up for a weekend shred sesh; often the cause of long travel times on I70 westbound on Friday evening and I70 eastbound on Sunday afternoons
• Whoop!: the call of elation made by skiers and riders as they shred freshly fallen snow
• Yard sale: double ejection from a skier
Recommended Stories For You
Trending In: Letters to the Editor
- End of an era: Arapahoe Basin volunteer ski patrol program finished after at least 4 decades
- Vail Resorts, Summit County strike deal on Keystone workforce housing
- Man found dead in Yampa River following extensive search
- Colorado River levels mostly unaffected by lastest snowstorm
- Breckenridge eatery to serve suspension over employee cocaine bust case