Colorado Mountain College Green Team sets lineup for April 20 Earth Day event in Breckenridge
April 12, 2017
The student-led Colorado Mountain College Green Team has been planning its biennial Sustainability Conference, set for April 20 at Colorado Mountain College's Breckenridge campus, since January.
"We've got a lot of great activities planned," said Nick Gendill, a member of the student green team class, in a news release. "There's something for everyone. Whether you're interested in great speakers, hands-on demonstrations, local vendors, free food, games, prizes, games or music, the gathering this year will be biggest and most diversified yet."
The keynote speaker will be Tyler Jones from the University of Colorado, sharing an upbeat talk titled "4.5 Billion Years of Climate Change," according to the release. The presentation will begin at 7 p.m. in the Eileen and Paul Finkel Auditorium.
Earlier in the day, other speakers will discuss fostering sustainability, sustainable investing and finding and working for sustainable companies.
Local musicians also are being encouraged to bring their instruments for a jam session.
"We've got some great music lined up including CMC students and local musicians," said Cassandra Cantu, another Green Team student. "We will also have amazing demonstrations including converting an aluminum can to an alcohol-cooking stove and tie-dyeing with natural, plant-based dyes that you can make yourself. Bring items to tie-dye."
Recommended Stories For You
Several vendors will be on hand to demonstrate sustainable products and services and local sustainable artists will show their creations, as well.
Snacks will be available all day, and a free meal will be provided later in the afternoon. CMC's Culinary Arts instructor Ian Buchanan will also host demonstrations on sustainability in the kitchen.
Additionally, people will get the chance to see the topics that CMC's soon-to-be-graduates of the four-year degree in sustainability are presenting for their final, capstone projects.
For more info, see the festival's Facebook page at "Green Team: Earth Day Festival" or contact Kristin Barrett at firstname.lastname@example.org or 719-836-0123.
Trending In: Explore Summit
- #ExploreSummit: White winter
- Reader photos: peaks and peeks
- Moose on the mountain: How does Breckenridge Ski Resort handle these sightings?
- Safety first: Copper Mountain Resort, Loveland Ski Area host weekend of safety-related events
- New cocktail lounge in the mix after closing of Barkley Ballroom in Frisco
- Video captures moose chasing skiers Saturday at Breckenridge Ski Resort
- Breckenridge Ski Resort extends ski season through Memorial Day for first time since ’90s
- No one injured or missing in skier-triggered avalanche at Loveland Ski Area
- Breckenridge Ski Resort ski instructing community thanks 90-year-old for his contributions
- Inbounds avalanche at Taos Ski Valley buries 2 men near summit