Topilow Brothers perform songs by request
June 17, 2016
National Repertory Orchestra (NRO) music director and conductor Carl Topilow will take the stage with brother and pianist Arthur Topilow to deliver a performance of swing, jazz, klezmer and Broadway tunes, Monday, June 20, at 6 p.m. Additionally, audience members will be invited to make song requests. Proceeds benefit the NRO's children's programming.
Carl Topilow is currently in his 39th year with the NRO. In addition to his conducting, Carl is a skilled clarinetist and often displays his skills on the instrument during his signature orchestral pops concerts. This year he will be featured on clarinet solos during the NRO's Pops! Music from the Movies concert on Friday, July 1, as well as during the annual Topilow Pops! on Friday, July 17.
Arthur Topilow has been playing piano professionally since he was in high school, and his concert performances range from the classical works of Bach and Brahms to his personal specialty: jazz piano. Arthur's jazz group has played concerts for over a decade at the Herbert and Evelyn Axelrod Performing Arts Center in Deal, New Jersey, and in 2010 he was the recipient of the center's Axelrod Lifetime Artistic Achievement Award.
Over the course of the evening, the brothers will take on a number of musical genres. The performance will showcase Arthur's jazz piano chops in several styles, as well as the renditions of well-loved Broadway tunes that have become a hallmark of Carl's orchestral pops concerts. The brothers may also perform klezmer music, a dance-oriented Jewish tradition from Eastern Europe that has had a significant influence on both classical music and American jazz.
"Topilow Brothers by Request" will take place in the Finkel Auditorium at Colorado Mountain College. Tickets for the event are $25 for adults and $10 for students/children. For tickets and more information call (970) 453-5825 or visit http://www.nromusic.com.
Bailey Salinero is a marketing intern with the NRO.
Trending In: Entertainment Nightlife
- Summit County’s live music calendar
- High Altitude Baking: Coffee meringue cookies (flourless, low-fat recipe)
- Wildflowers are popping off, best places in Summit County to view them
- High Altitude Baking: Dark chocolate gluten-free cake (recipe)
- Marijuana artist uses relief painting for cannabis creations
- Copper Mountain Resort pond skim fiasco could lead to felony charges for man who tried to jump crowd (with video)
- Summit County and the rest of the High Country may see up to 8 inches of snow later this week
- Summit County real estate sales slow down in March
- Dillon Amphitheatre’s million-dollar view now has the facility to match it
- Breckenridge pot shops nabbed at least 178 fake IDs since January 2017