This Week in Summit County History: Denver dining room delights Breckenridge
March 24, 2018
Editor's note: The following was extracted from the March 23, 1918, edition of the Summit County Journal.
The opening of the Denver Hotel Dining Room last Sunday evening was a decided success and far exceeded the expectations of the and proved that the people of Breckenridge appreciate any efforts that may be made to provide for the satisfying of the (?).
French Gulch Dredge Begins Operations
The French Gulch Dredging company dredge began its seasons operations this week after several months re-season. It is digging in French Gulch pair (?) is now in charge of Warren F. Sears. The boat has been put in tip top repair and everything points to a very successful between the Wellington mine and the old town site of Lincoln.
President Signs Daylight Saving Bill
The daylight saving bill was signed by President Wilson. It puts all clocks forward an hour on the last Sunday in March and turns them back again the last Sunday in October.
Recommended Stories For You
Find War Data in Girl's Trunk
The contents of a trunk said to be the property of Miss Katherine Schmid, suspected of being a German spy, held by army intelligence officers in El Paso, Tex., and which federal authorities here believe will establish her connection with the German spy system in this country were seized at the home of Rudolph Witek, 50, West Eleventh avenue, by James W. Melrose, special agent for the United States Department of Justice for the Colorado district.
Western Mining and Oil News
The June Bug Mine, near the head of Gibson gulch, is being steadily worked under a lease by the Boyce brothers. They recently encountered a streak of iron ore from which assays showing 300 ounces in silver per ton have been had.
Trending In: History
- History: How Breckenridge got its name
- Receding shoreline of Lake Dillon reveals part of Summit County’s railroad history
- Summit County’s ladies of the night
- Summit’s Historic Yesterdays: Chalk Mountain Ski Area, 1934-1962, meets sudden demise
- 43rd annual 10th Mountain Division Memorial Ceremony celebrates heroes, history
- Bell tolls for Breckenridge trail troll as town council votes to remove controversial art piece
- In Summit County, government action on short-term rentals leads to new business
- Big Boi joins Gramatik for Breck’s Mountain Dew Snow Dance
- Search called off for missing Front Range man believed to be in Steamboat Lake area