Leadville’s Ski Joring weekend adds film festival, live music to lineup
March 1, 2017
The specialty shops, restaurants and museums along Leadville's main thoroughfare will see increased action this weekend as a film festival and three venues of live music join the lineup at the Leadville Ski Joring and Crystal Carnival.
Not familiar with skijoring? It's where horse-and-rider teams pull skiers down the street and over jumps as they try to spear rings in a timed race. The contests will be Saturday and Sunday, with the first horse coming down Main Street at noon both days.
Set to help kick things off at 7 Friday night, the Backcountry Film Festival at Periodic Brewing, 115 Seventh St., is designed to capture the spirit of winter, with benefits going to the Colorado Mountain Club Backcountry Snowsports Initiative, according to a news release.
Also added to the list of events are live music performances at Leadville's Historic Pastime Bar and Café, Periodic Brewing and The Scarlet Tavern, the release continues.
The weekend begins Friday night with the film festival and Nordic ski sprints down Harrison Avenue, also at 7 p.m. Additionally, Lake County Rain is booked to play at The Scarlet Tavern with Persuasion at Leadville's Historic Pastime Café.
Meanwhile, the Ski Joring contest will be Saturday and Sunday, and organizers are welcoming spectators to pony up and put their names in a hat for a chance to ski as well as bring their horses to pull skiers.
Recommended Stories For You
Also, children will have an opportunity to try out skijoring behind a snowmobile Saturday at 3 p.m.
On Saturday night, there will be a fat-tire bike ride that's part of the Leadville Winter Mountain Bike Series after dark on the 11-mile Mineral Belt trail.
Also Saturday night, the Trash Pandas and Girl Play will perform at Periodic Brewing and Leadville's Historic Pastime Café, respectively, while there's a dance at the Elk's Lodge.
On Sunday, things continue with the final day of skijoring and the Leadville Nordic Paintball Biathlon combining skiing laps with taking shots. The biathlon will be at the Tennessee Pass Nordic Center.
Organizers have also set up three skijoring classes — one for experienced, competitive teams; another for beginners; and the third for teams ages 40 and over. Skiers must prequalify to compete in the advanced class.
Registration is 6-8 p.m. Friday and Saturday at the Elk's Lodge.
Trending In: Explore Summit
- Top 6 drives to see fall foliage near Breckenridge, Colorado (video)
- What to see at the Breckenridge Film Festival
- Breckenridge Film Festival screens world premiere of ‘Waterlily Jaguar,’ directorial debut of Melora Walters
- Breckenridge International Festival of Arts begins Friday, featuring musical performances, movies and a wooden troll
- Why do leaves change color? The science behind fall foliage and best places to view around Summit County
- Breckenridge dog attack update: Dog to be euthanized, owner cited
- Developer blasts Silverthorne town council after Hudson Park Lofts project falls through
- Summit County drug dealer pleads guilty to criminally negligent homicide in Breckenridge overdose death
- Arapahoe Basin Ski Area begins snowmaking Friday, the earliest start in a decade
- Frisco town manager announces resignation effective Oct. 9