On The Hill: Powder day! Whiteout on Whale’s Tail at Breck (snow video)
January 6, 2017
VIDEO: It’s been snowing like mad all across the Central Rocky Mountains and Z Griff has been right in the thick of it. He heads out to Whales Tail, Peak 9 and more on the final day of the snowstorm for nearly 2 feet of fresh. By Friday morning, the sun was out and the trees were still coated in frosty white goodness. Believe us: it’s going to be a killer weekend.
Breckenridge snow report: 9″ in 24 hours, 17″ in 48 hours, 19″ in 7 days
Keystone snow report: 6″, 17″, 20″
Copper snow report: 7″, 14″, 16″
Summit Daily field report: It’s a beauty out here with plenty of fresh snow to ride under blue skies. It’s like a March powder day in January.
Recommended Stories For You
Weather: High of 17 F, low of 3 F. Calm and sunny but very cold.
Lift lines: Not bad…yet. Get some fresh turns if you can before the weekend crowds arrive.
Breakdown: The sun is shining and the powder is deep. Just don’t forget handwarmers — it’s been in the single digits all morning.
Trending In: Explore Summit
- Top 6 drives to see fall foliage near Breckenridge, Colorado (video)
- What to see at the Breckenridge Film Festival
- Breckenridge Film Festival screens world premiere of ‘Waterlily Jaguar,’ directorial debut of Melora Walters
- Breckenridge International Festival of Arts begins Friday, featuring musical performances, movies and a wooden troll
- Why do leaves change color? The science behind fall foliage and best places to view around Summit County
- Breckenridge dog attack update: Dog to be euthanized, owner cited
- Developer blasts Silverthorne town council after Hudson Park Lofts project falls through
- Summit County drug dealer pleads guilty to criminally negligent homicide in Breckenridge overdose death
- Arapahoe Basin Ski Area begins snowmaking Friday, the earliest start in a decade
- Frisco town manager announces resignation effective Oct. 9