Rando Race Series kicks off at Arapahoe Basin
November 17, 2017
Just before dawn on Tuesday, more than 90 people took off uphill on their skis from the base of the High Noon run at Arapahoe Basin Ski Area.
As part of the resort's Rise and Shine Rando Race Series, the competitors were challenged to do as many laps as they could muster in one hour, beginning from the ski area's base to Black Mountain Lodge at mid-mountain — approximately 750 feet of vertical climb.
With the use of skins attached to the bottom of their skis to aid in climbing uphill cross-country style, 13 of the 90 competitors completed five laps. That amounted to nearly 4,000 vertical feet in total over the hour.
To see more photos from Tuesday's race, visit SummitDaily.com.
Trending In: Recreation
- Ski terrain may be limited as Breckenridge, Keystone and Copper ready for opening day
- Arapahoe Basin opens intermediate Humbug run: Ski area’s first trail to open this season with all natural snow
- Arapahoe Basin opens upper mountain ski terrain ahead of last year’s pace
- Splitboarding 101: Ten backcountry snowboarding lessons from Weston Snowboards
- 2017 GoPro Big Mountain Challenge is back in Breck March 18-19
- Skier captures early season Loveland Pass avalanche on video
- Silverthorne backs 110 with hope for Exit 205
- 15-hour standoff outside of Breckenridge ends peacefully
- At Arapahoe Basin Ski Area’s opening day, shredders share their new ski season resolutions
- Dillon celebrates first year successes of revamped amphitheater, looks ahead to 2019