This week in Summit County history: Women may act as jurors
December 17, 2016
This week in history as reported by the Summit County Journal 100 years ago, the week of Dec. 19–23.
An amendment to the state law which would permit women to serve on juries in bootlegging cases has been suggested as a remedy for the condition which resulted in Judge Ira C. Rothgerber having been forced to dismiss a jury in a trial in which violation of the prohibition law was alleged.
Popular young people are united in marriage
Miss Adele Whatley and Gordon J. Brooks were made husband and wife Saturday evening last at the home of Rev. W.W. Gilberson, who performed the ceremony, which took place at 9 o'clock. Only the necessary witnesses were present.
Hook and Ladder dance
The Pioneer Hook and Ladder company will give its thirty-fifth annual grand ball Monday evening, January 1. That patrons will have a good time, there is no doubt whatever. You know you will have a good time if you go, and you know that you will go if you get the chance and you certainly will. Above all, don't forget the date. This is no ordinary affair.
Recommended Stories For You
Joe Childers of Ida Bell, near Montezuma, has spent most of the week in Breckenridge, stating that the recent heavy snow-falls have interfered with his work at the mine where the same good ore showing in evidence. Two cars of ore are in readiness for shipping to Denver, but the ore is so thoroughly snowed in that it is probable that it will not reach Denver before spring.
One killed in fire
One was killed in the fire which destroyed the inter-Ocean hotel at Cheyenne.
The Breckenridge Heritage Alliance is a nonprofit organization founded to promote and protect Breckenridge's unique heritage. The organization offers year-round guided tours and hikes. Go to breckheritage.com or call (970) 453-9767 for more information.
Trending In: Explore Summit
- Top 6 drives to see fall foliage near Breckenridge, Colorado (video)
- Breckenridge International Festival of Arts begins Friday, featuring musical performances, movies and a wooden troll
- Summit High School graduate Mandy Moore completes choreography for ‘La La Land’
- New ‘Summit Bike Share’ launches in Breckenridge
- Book Review: ‘POW’ by Colorado native Tim Reinholt
- Trial begins for Frisco child pornography suspect
- Frisco child pornography trial hinges on disturbing images, chain of custody for digital evidence
- Gubernatorial candidate Jared Polis unveils plan to lower health care costs
- Williams Sonoma outlet coming to Silverthorne this fall
- Snowmass bear killing prompts state investigation after neighbor confronts hunter