Young Summit County musicians to perform Tuesday in Breckenridge
May 6, 2017
Three groups of young musicians — the Summit Youth Orchestra, the Summit Middle School eighth grade orchestra and SMS eighth grade band — will all perform Tuesday at the Riverwalk Center in Breckenridge.
The free concert starts at 6:30 p.m. and will feature all three groups playing independently before they come together for a single piece, the "Star Wars" medley, to close out the concert, said Mark Koob, a SMS music teacher who's directing the band and Summit Youth Orchestra.
The Summit Youth Orchestra is typically led by Chris Jusell, but he will be unable to conduct the group on Tuesday due to a prior engagement.
At the show, Koob said, the Summit Youth Orchestra will be playing "a couple really cool arrangements" put together by Jusell, while the eighth grade orchestra will play a few English folk songs and showcase a couple different classical styles.
Additionally, Koob added, the eighth grade band will be playing three pieces, including one song that's percussion heavy and has Koob "super excited."
The eighth grade band also will play an "Ode to Joy" arrangement that Koob said will serve as a small preview for a May 16 performance featuring the entire SMS band, grades six through eight, with the SMS jazz band.
Recommended Stories For You
That concert will be 6 p.m. at the SMS auditorium in Frisco.
Trending In: Explore Summit
- As conditions ravage Imperial Challenge, Breckenridge’s Howdyshell wins, Campbell family shines
- High Country Crime: Former teacher suspected of burglarizing bike shop
- Addiction cycled Tyler Little in and out of the Summit County Jail, but he walked out with his GED
- Copper Mountain Resort pond skim fiasco could lead to felony charges for man who tried to jump crowd (with video)
- Breckenridge Ski Resort closes 2017-18 season with Plunge (with video)