Young Summit County musicians to perform Tuesday in Breckenridge
May 6, 2017
Three groups of young musicians — the Summit Youth Orchestra, the Summit Middle School eighth grade orchestra and SMS eighth grade band — will all perform Tuesday at the Riverwalk Center in Breckenridge.
The free concert starts at 6:30 p.m. and will feature all three groups playing independently before they come together for a single piece, the "Star Wars" medley, to close out the concert, said Mark Koob, a SMS music teacher who's directing the band and Summit Youth Orchestra.
The Summit Youth Orchestra is typically led by Chris Jusell, but he will be unable to conduct the group on Tuesday due to a prior engagement.
At the show, Koob said, the Summit Youth Orchestra will be playing "a couple really cool arrangements" put together by Jusell, while the eighth grade orchestra will play a few English folk songs and showcase a couple different classical styles.
Additionally, Koob added, the eighth grade band will be playing three pieces, including one song that's percussion heavy and has Koob "super excited."
The eighth grade band also will play an "Ode to Joy" arrangement that Koob said will serve as a small preview for a May 16 performance featuring the entire SMS band, grades six through eight, with the SMS jazz band.
Recommended Stories For You
That concert will be 6 p.m. at the SMS auditorium in Frisco.
Trending In: Explore Summit
- Five Summit County hikes for colorful wildflowers in peak season
- Annual Keystone Wine & Jazz Festival offers tastings, seminars July 14-15
- NRO music director, Carl Topilow, targets tunes from the silver screen for performance
- Top 5 summer activities on Lake Dillon in Frisco, Colorado
- Rain means Colorado mushroom hunting is on
- Former Silverthorne home of Broncos mascot hits market for $23M
- Frisco Bay Marina closes boat ramp, gas dock due to low water
- Frisco’s Whole Foods Market withdraws liquor license application, defusing tensions with local businesses
- Sorry Ironman, Breck Epic will stay ‘true,’ founder says
- Breckenridge ready to ‘finish Peak 8’ with luxury hotel, condos