Airbnb names this Colorado town as the most popular family summer destination in the state

Emily Gutierrez
Sky-Hi News
Airbnb named Granby as the top Colorado summer destination for families, and they are specifically booking homes with two or three bedrooms.
Byron Hetzler/Sky-Hi News

Summer means a lot of things for families, and for many it means vacation time in a short-term rental. Recently, Airbnb named Granby as the top destination for families this summer.

Family trips increased in popularity towards the beginning of 2023 in comparison to 2022. Families are specifically booking Airbnb homes that offer two or three rooms while traveling.

Short-term rentals are defined as nightly or weekly rental of dwellings where people stay less than 30 consecutive days. These short-term rentals are subject to lodging tax. This includes vacation rental hosting sites like Airbnb, Vrbo and Trip Advisor.

Colorado remains one of the most popular travel destinations for guests. It has some of the most nights booked in the first half of the year, according to Airbnb representative Nicolette Velazquez.

In 2022, almost 30% of all guests who booked stays in Colorado were from the state.

Cities benefit from this tourism. In addition, guests support local economies by spending money at neighborhood businesses and restaurants, as well as visiting natural attractions, according to Velazquez.

In the future we might see the effects of a lodging bill that was passed last year, House Bill 22-1117. In 2022, Gov. Jared Polis signed legislation that allowed towns to use lodging taxes slightly differently. Previously this lodging tax was used for tourism marketing.

Counties can now use up to 90% of lodging taxes previously collected for tourism on things like affordable housing and childcare for residents. The remaining 10% must still be used for tourism marketing. The expanded uses of each tax are conditional on voter approval.

Currently, short-term rentals in Grand County pay a 1.8% lodging tax and additional permit and fees that vary depending on the home’s location.

This story is from

Support Local Journalism

Support Local Journalism

As a Summit Daily News reader, you make our work possible.

Summit Daily is embarking on a multiyear project to digitize its archives going back to 1989 and make them available to the public in partnership with the Colorado Historic Newspapers Collection. The full project is expected to cost about $165,000. All donations made in 2023 will go directly toward this project.

Every contribution, no matter the size, will make a difference.