Attell brings adult comedy to Breckenridge Thursday | SummitDaily.com

Attell brings adult comedy to Breckenridge Thursday

KIMBERLY NICOLETTI
summit daily news
Special to the Daily
ALL |

Things have changed since Dave Attell made a name for himself in the 1990s with his “very adult” humor. For one thing, he’s starred on plenty of shows, including the four-season hit series, “Insomniac with Dave Attell” on Comedy Central. For another thing, the world has become a bit more “politically correct.”

“In the 1990s, people came to my show to hear dirty jokes, to cut loose to get drunk and hear things they didn’t hear on TV,” Attell said. “Now, (with all this PC stuff), I hear groans.”

Still, Attell has remained true to his rated-R style.

“I’m not a puppet guy or singing songs about farts,” he said. “I’m pretty hard-core about the comedy.”

Of course, specifics of his material aren’t fit for print, but an example he gives revolves around lubricants and gravy.

“Sometimes people don’t know what they’re getting into,” he said, adding that usually, 90 percent of the crowd “digs what I do and the other 10 percent asks themselves, ‘why am I here?'”

“I can’t think of a better match for spring break in Breckenridge,” said JonScott McClung, founder of High Country Comedy Nights.

Indeed, majority vote seems to favor Attell. Entertainment Weekly named him one of the 25 funniest people in America, due to his caustic wit and rapid-fire delivery. He’s hit all the big late show venues, and more, including Chris Rock’s cult film “Pottie Tang,” FOX’s “Arrested Development,” NBC’s “Ed” and “Comedy Central Presents: Dave Attell.”

He still misses some of his antics on “Insomniac with Dave Attell,” which fused his love of booze and laughter into a show that traveled around the nation – and later, the world – looking for late-night fun. The show ended about five years ago but included unforgettable shoots, including a week-long alcohol binge during Carnival in Brazil, where the entire town shuts down to party.

“There’s something cool about being up all night and having the whole town to yourself,” he said about his experience. “But, now I’m old, and it’s sad seeing an old man run around all night.”


Start a dialogue, stay on topic and be civil.
If you don't follow the rules, your comment may be deleted.