Bodies of 2 men who drowned at Ruedi Reservoir recovered early Sunday; IDs pending |

Bodies of 2 men who drowned at Ruedi Reservoir recovered early Sunday; IDs pending

David Krause
The Aspen Times
Law enforcement took to Ruedi Reservoir on Saturday after two people reportedly drowned near the Yacht Club.
Austin Colbert/The Aspen Times

The men who died Saturday at Ruedi Reservoir were friends were hanging out together when one struggled in the water and the other jumped in to help him.

John Teague of Aspen died after jumping into the water to help Bret Varra, who was having difficulty, according to the Pitkin County Sheriff’s Office. Varra lived in Carbondale.

“All indications are that this is a tragic accident,” Alex Burchetta, Pitkin County Sheriff’s Office patrol director, said Sunday morning. Burchetta was on-scene for four hours at the reservoir Saturday.

According the sheriff’s office, two boats were tied together away from the shore when one man, Varra, went swimming and struggled. That’s when Teague jumped in.

“A female witness on one of the boats stated that one of the men had been swimming away from his boat and began to have difficulty swimming. The second man, from one of the tied-up boats, jumped into the water to assist the struggling man and he too began to experience swimming difficulties,” the release states. “One of the men had already slipped under the surface of the water, and the second man went under the surface of the water as a ‘rescue boat’ from the Aspen Yacht Club arrived. Both men were not seen again.”

Ralph Gunning of El Jebel had just left the Aspen Yacht Club with friends and was the first boat on the scene after both men were in the water and a woman on the boats was screaming for help.

“I said, ‘That didn’t sound like a happy scream,’” Gunning recalled Sunday afternoon in a phone interview. “That’s when we saw two boats tied together across from the yacht club cove.”

He said one of the engines was started and the boats were spinning as the panicked woman was searching for the two men.

“I saw something in the water. I thought it was a dog. All I saw was brown hair. Had I known it was a human, I would have got in water sooner,” Gunning said. “She told us two people were in water. I dove in and searched for about a half hour. Then I got back in the boat. We did passes with a fish-finder and would dive back in when we saw something.”

He said he searched for about 45 minutes, then took the GPS coordinates and went back to the yacht club dock to pick up law enforcement officials and took them back out.

A rescue/dive team from the Summit County Sheriff’s Office was called in and found the bodies about 20 to 30 feet below the surface and got them to shore at about 12:15 a.m. Sunday after three hours of searching.

Support Local Journalism

Support Local Journalism

As a Summit Daily News reader, you make our work possible.

Now more than ever, your financial support is critical to help us keep our communities informed about the evolving coronavirus pandemic and the impact it is having on our residents and businesses. Every contribution, no matter the size, will make a difference.

Your donation will be used exclusively to support quality, local journalism.

For tax deductible donations, click here.

Start a dialogue, stay on topic and be civil.
If you don't follow the rules, your comment may be deleted.

User Legend: iconModerator iconTrusted User