Boulder blaze claims at least 63 structures
September 7, 2010
At least 63 structures have been lost in the Fourmile fire, officials said, including the homes of nine firefighters.
Incident Commander Don Whittemore said at a 4 p.m. news conference that teams had surveyed about 50 percent of the burned area, so the number of burned buildings is expected to rise.
Whittemore said the worst-hit areas were Pinebroke Hills and Sunshine Canyon. The fire has burned more than 7,120 acres and is most active on its north and northeast edge.
Whittemore said no portion of the fire is considered contained.
Gov. Bill Ritter said this afternoon that subdivisions around a wildfire west of Boulder remain too dangerous for evacuated homeowners to visit, and that firefighters are doing all they can to get the blaze under control.
“This is a very volatile situation,” Ritter said.
Recommended Stories For You
Boulder Sheriff Joe Pelle said the fire was sparked when an automobile ran into a propane tank around 10 a.m. yesterday. Since then it has grow, although winds have abated considerably from yesterday, when gusts up to 45 mph fanned the flames.
Command over firefighting will be turned over to federal authorities today at 6 p.m., Pelle said, though he and other local officials will remain on the fire.
“We have literally exhausted our local resources,” Pelle said.
Read more: At least 63 structures burned in fire near Boulder – The Denver Post http://www.denverpost.com/news/ci_16011378#ixzz0yt5yUo1p