BREAKING: Multiple gas leaks in Summit County | SummitDaily.com
YOUR AD HERE »

BREAKING: Multiple gas leaks in Summit County

Shortly before 3 p.m. there were reports of natural gas odors at the Silverthorne Quality Inn. Management at the hotel called 911 and began evacuating staff and guests. As Lake Dillon Fire & Rescue was en route, a flash fire occurred in the mechanical room in the hotel scorching walls and bursting a few windows.

No one was injured and fire officials determined that the cause of the fire was a 2-inch gas pipe that had frozen and thawed multiple times, causing the leak. Lake Dillon firefighters are still on the scene ventilating the building. Once they have cleared the gas, staff and hotel guests will be able to return to the hotel.

While Lake Dillon officials were responding to the leak in Silverthorne, a second gas leak was reported at a single-family home in Summerwood. No injuries were reported.

Steve Lipser, the public information officer for Lake Dillon Fire & Rescue, said that the hotel did the right thing in evacuating guests after reports of gas odors. He added that people should check their pipes for damage from ice.


Support Local Journalism

As a Summit Daily News reader, you make our work possible.

Now more than ever, your financial support is critical to help us keep our communities informed about the evolving coronavirus pandemic and the impact it is having on our residents and businesses. Every contribution, no matter the size, will make a difference.

Your donation will be used exclusively to support quality, local journalism.

For tax deductible donations, click here.
 


Start a dialogue, stay on topic and be civil.
If you don't follow the rules, your comment may be deleted.

User Legend: iconModerator iconTrusted User