Breckenridge domestic dispute ends in death |

Breckenridge domestic dispute ends in death

BRECKENRIDGE – What was described as domestic violence ended in death, after a long standoff with local police officers Friday in the Vista Point neighborhood of Breckenridge. A man living at 247 Locals Lane was found dead after officers heard one gunshot from the house. No one else was reported to be in the home, so it’s likely the shot was self-inflicted. An autopsy is planned.

According to Breckenridge’s assistant police chief Greg Morrison, earlier that evening a woman called police from the Breckenridge City Market, saying she just had a “domestic” with her husband.

“She had left the home and gone down there,” Morrison said, noting the call came in a little after 6 p.m. “Officers went up to the house and the male subject, without opening doors or windows, yelled to the cops to go away.”

Though officers didn’t make additional contact with the man, they stayed put. And not long after, a non-English speaking male ran out of the house.

“He said the man inside had a gun, and he threatened the male subject who ran out,” Morrison said. “There was a language barrier, but that was the gist of what could be understood.”

Additional officers then arrived at the scene, including Breck’s chief of police Rick Holman. The Summit County Combined Swat Team was also called.

The SWAT team – comprised of officers from Breck, Frisco, the sheriff’s office, Silverthorne and Dillon – and two negotiators assisted officers already at the scene, and a perimeter was set up. The Summit County Dispatch Emergency Preparedness Network Reverse 911 system was activated as well to notify immediate neighbors of the incident. Several people chose to self-evacuate, Morrison said.

A Breckenridge PD press release said SWAT team negotiators attempted to speak with the man over a six-hour period, however he wouldn’t engage in any sort of communication.

“The man wasn’t answering his cell phone, so the SWAT team threw a throw phone through the window to establish communications,” Morrison said. “He didn’t respond to the throw phone or his cell phone.”

The standoff lasted until approximately 1 a.m., when officers said they thought they heard one gun shot from inside. A key to the front door was accessed, so the team sent a remote-controlled video camera into the home. The man in question was then viewed in the kitchen, suffering from an apparent gunshot wound.

“Members of the SWAT team and the fire department medic went in and determined the man was dead,” Morrison said. “The coroner came and took the body away.”

The Summit County Coroner’s Office will determine the exact cause of death and identification of the man.

Morrison said the autopsy will probably be conducted Wednesday, and names could possibly be released to the public today.

Caitlin Row can be reached at (970) 668-4633 or at

Support Local Journalism

Support Local Journalism

As a Summit Daily News reader, you make our work possible.

Now more than ever, your financial support is critical to help us keep our communities informed about the evolving coronavirus pandemic and the impact it is having on our residents and businesses. Every contribution, no matter the size, will make a difference.

Your donation will be used exclusively to support quality, local journalism.


Start a dialogue, stay on topic and be civil.
If you don't follow the rules, your comment may be deleted.

User Legend: iconModerator iconTrusted User