Crews close to containing destructive Boulder wildfire
September 12, 2010
BOULDER, Colo. (AP) – A new group of residents will see their neighborhood for the first time in a week as firefighters inch closer to containing a 10-square-mile wildfire near Boulder that destroyed 169 houses.
Boulder authorities said Sunday morning that residents from another subdivision ravaged by the fire will be allowed to return to their homes for good. The fire that began Sept. 6 has cost more than $6.7 million to fight so far and is one of the most destructive in Colorado history.
Fire spokesman Terry Krasko says operations are beginning to be scaled back and some crews are being relieved.
About 2,000 residents have already been allowed to return to their homes in the rugged foothills above Boulder.