Breckenridge man sentenced to 48 years prison for attempted murder |

Breckenridge man sentenced to 48 years prison for attempted murder

Breckenridge resident Sky Wodraska was sentenced to 48 years in prison Tuesday morning, after pleading guilty to attempted first-degree murder after deliberation, first-degree assault with a deadly weapon and second-degree kidnapping. He will also serve 18 months for third-degree assault, a class-one misdemeanor.

An arrest affidavit shows that Wodraska, 37, broke into the home of his former girlfriend in early March, seriously injuring her 14-year-old daughter with three stab wounds including a near-fatal wound to her trachea. He also bound and gagged her 9-year-old daughter with duct tape, and chased after another 14-year-old girl who was present that night while the mother was at work.

“This was a premeditated offense and frankly the thing of nightmares,” Fifth Judicial District judge Mark Thompson said. “The conduct of Mr. Wodraska was monstrous, far outside of anything society would condone.”

Wodraska will receive 28 years of jail time for attempted first-degree murder, a class two felony. He will receive 10 years for first-degree assault and 10 years for second-degree kidnapping, all of which will be served in the Colorado Department of Corrections.

“I think this sentencing agreement is in the interest of justice, is in the interest of the community and most importantly is in the interest of the victims.”Mark ThompsonFifth Judicial District judge

Two of the girls, their mother, and several friends were present at Tuesday’s hearing. The mother dabbed her eyes throughout, while the two girls sat silently.

None of the family stood to speak, but the mother quickly wrote a statement on a piece of paper, read aloud by Fifth Judicial deputy district attorney John Franks.

“The horrific nature of the crimes against our family as well as the subsequent prosecution of the defendant speak for themselves,” the letter read. “We appreciate the love and support of our community as we continue to heal.”

Another letter, from the family of the other 14-year-girl, was also read in court. They noted that their daughter stayed at the condo with the other two girls the night of the incident, and was able to help prevent further harm through their combined actions.

“(Name omitted) followed her instincts and ran. She was caught and brought back to the house, providing an opportunity for (name omitted) to call 911,” her parents wrote. “In respect to sentencing, our only goal is to ensure that no one else will have to suffer.”

“It is good fortune, if you can say that, that all have survived and will physically be OK,” Franks said. “I think if (name omitted) had not been there, it would have been very different. … Ultimately, his inability to control all three of those girls allowed his plan to go haywire.”

Seeking restitution

The prosecution will have 90 days to come up with an amount for restitution for all three felony counts. The remaining 13 charges, including burglary, retaliation against a witness or victim and child abuse were dropped as part of the plea agreement.

“I think this sentencing agreement is in the interest of justice, is in the interest of the community and most importantly is in the interest of the victims,” Thompson said, adding that it would save the family the emotional weight of sitting through a trial. “The photographs presented to me in this case are something that will never leave my mind. They are some of the most horrible things I’ve ever seen.”

As all three felony counts were listed as crimes of violence, Wodraska will not be eligible for parole until he has served at least three-quarters of his sentence. The district attorney’s office noted that he would be in his early 70s by then, facing five years of parole.

Thompson addressed Wodraska, saying the term of imprisonment would be “a considerable amount of time given the duration of your natural life.”

Wodraska’s public defense attorney, Reed Owens, had little to say in light of the plea agreement, but Wodraska came to the podium to read a statement.

“To (names omitted), I promise that I will never try to contact you or hurt you in any way ever again. I accept full responsibility for what I did and deserve to go to prison,” Wodraska said.

The girls’ mother noted later that this was not the first time he had promised to leave them alone.

Additional time

Wodraska, who broke numerous probation orders and a restraining order based on his guilty plea, faces several concurrent sentences from previous cases.

On Tuesday, Wodraska pleaded guilty to violating a civil protection order in February of 2015. He will serve 12 months’ jail time concurrent with his time in the Department of Corrections.

Wodraska also received 18 months’ jail time after he pleaded guilty to violating a probation order stemming from a plea bargain in 2013, when LSD, a schedule-one controlled substance, and a schedule-three controlled substance were found in Wodraska’s home. In 2014, he pleaded guilty to possession of a schedule-three controlled substance, and the other charge was dropped.

In June of 2014, Wodraksa was arrested and charged with child abuse, violation of bond and child sex assault after his former girlfriend’s daughter told authorities that he had assaulted her the year before. He pleaded guilty to child abuse and the other charges were dropped. Wodraska received 123 days of jail time for violating the probation order that stemmed from this case, but will receive credit for time recently served in the county jail, closing the case.

Finally, Wodraska will serve six additional years in the Department of Corrections for violation of a deferred judgment, after he pleaded guilty to intimidation of a witness or victim in 2014. As part of the plea agreement, 12 charges, including child abuse, stalking, extortion, violation of bond and telephone harassment, were dismissed. Arrest affidavits show that Wodraska left several menacing text messages, voicemails and emails to the woman and her 14-year-old daughter shortly after she reported her assault to the police.

“That’s part of the burden on a prosecutor, is predicting future behavior,” Franks said. “When you get to something like this, it’s far outside of the realm of normal behavior.”

The family and friends gathered outside of the courthouse shortly after the sentencing, with hugs all around.

“The girls will go on to have healthy and productive lives, in no small part because they have the love of each other and the embrace of the community as well,” Franks said. “They are quite mature for their age. It’s always nice when you have the ability to have victims there who feel vindicated.”

Support Local Journalism

Support Local Journalism

As a Summit Daily News reader, you make our work possible.

Now more than ever, your financial support is critical to help us keep our communities informed about the evolving coronavirus pandemic and the impact it is having on our residents and businesses. Every contribution, no matter the size, will make a difference.

Your donation will be used exclusively to support quality, local journalism.

For tax deductible donations, click here.

Start a dialogue, stay on topic and be civil.
If you don't follow the rules, your comment may be deleted.

User Legend: iconModerator iconTrusted User