Carjacker with $250,000 bond foiled before reaching Eisenhower Tunnel
August 31, 2016
A local man left his Chevy Tahoe running when he went into a 7-11 in Silverthorne on Monday morning, but when he left the store he was surprised to see that his car was gone. A Budweiser driver at the scene told a responding police officer that he had seen a bald Latino man in his mid-30's hanging around the lot who had begged him for a ride to Denver, offering his ring as payment. The driver had declined, and suspected that the man had then stolen the Tahoe when he saw it left running.
A Colorado State Patroller spotted the vehicle on eastbound Interstate 70, but the car pulled over before he could activate his lights or sirens. The man driving it matched the Budweiser driver's description and presented a voter ID card identifying him Jose Santiago Silva-Santoyo of San Bernadino, California. He asked officers to let him go because he needed to go to Denver to see his girlfriend, who is struggling with a drug problem.
The officers arrested Silvo-Santoyo after discovering he wanted on a $250,000 bond in Kings County, California for counterfeiting charges. He claimed his only possessions were in a backpack in the back seat. In it, officers found mostly clothing and toiletries but also a small bag of cocaine.
Officers noted that Silvo-Santoyo appeared to be high on cocaine on the way to the county jail, talking rapidly and repeating himself. He continued to ask to be let go because the amount of cocaine was small and he needed to see his girlfriend. He was booked for aggravated motor vehicle theft, possession of cocaine and for being a fugitive from justice.
Trending In: Crime
- Summit County downgrades fire restrictions to Stage 1 from Stage 2 amid improving fire conditions
- Tyler Gorrell, a 33-year-old Denver resident, is missing in Silverthorne’s backcountry
- Stalking victim says court case barely scratched the surface of 6-year battle with abuse
- Summit County man sentenced to 16 years to life for sexual assault
- Trial begins for Ramon Villa, one of four accused in 2016 Silverthorne sexual assault