Firefighters recomend replacing smoke alarms batteries during daylight savings
March 10, 2017
Lake Dillon Fire-Rescue is reminding residents that as they change their clocks to daylight saving time this weekend, they should also replace the batteries in their smoke detectors and carbon-monoxide detectors.
"Smoke detectors are your first line of defense in case a fire occurs in your home," said Lake Dillon Fire chief Jeff Berino. "They have been proven time and again to save lives, and now is the time to ensure they are working properly. The biennial changing of the clocks is a great 'string around your finger' to replace the batteries."
The annual return to daylight saving time requires changing clocks ahead one hour at 2 a.m. on Sunday morning.
Residents and rental-property owners also should replace the batteries in carbon-monoxide detectors and ensure they are working properly, too.
And property owners should make sure that all external heating vents and exterior gas meters are kept clear of snow to avoid problems.
In addition to changing your smoke alarm batteries this weekend, the U.S. Fire Administration recommends a variety of simple steps to help people protect their lives, loved ones, homes.
Recommended Stories For You
Those include things like dusting or vacuuming smoke alarms, testing alarms once a month and preparing an emergency escape plan in case of a fire.
Trending In: Crime
- Summit County feels impact of longest federal shutdown in U.S. history
- Vail Pass suicide is Summit County’s 11th suicide of the year; officials urge dialogue on crisis
- Alleged Dillon Valley stalker faces new charges
- Breckenridge drug bust reveals cocaine being sold out of bars, restaurants
- Firework, campfire bans could become permanent in Summit County
- Breckenridge Ski Resort extends ski season through Memorial Day for first time since ’90s
- No one injured or missing in skier-triggered avalanche at Loveland Ski Area
- Inbounds avalanche at Taos Ski Valley buries 2 men near summit
- Can modular homes save ski towns?
- Gibbs resigns as commissioner for Polis cabinet post, Democrats will appoint a successor