Summit County police blotter: A flatscreen fatality at Breckenridge bar |

Summit County police blotter: A flatscreen fatality at Breckenridge bar

Play It To The Bone
Getty Images/Hemera | Hemera


The night of Jan. 11, just before midnight, Breckenridge police officers were dispatched to the Mine on Main Street. An officer spoke with one of the parties involved, who appeared to be heavily intoxicated and was bleeding from his lip.

When asked about the fight twice, the man said an unidentified man began striking him outside of the bar, before fleeing the scene.

The man’s brother had a laceration on his right cheek, and was also heavily intoxicated. He said his brother had been in a fight with two men, who both fled the scene.

While a live video feed was available through the cameras at the bar, the incident was not recorded. No further leads were identified.

Another officer was dispatched later, with reports of broken property at the bar. The officer talked with the owner, who said the instigator of the fight pushed and punched a man into a flat screen TV near the bar entrance.

The screen was cracked, and the TV no longer works. The owner estimated the TV’s value at $1500. He thought the suspect, a 6-foot two-inch tall man with black hair, might have paid for his tab with cash.

Minutes later, officers received a report of shots fired on North French Street. It was reported that the man ran from the Canteen to Val D’Isere, though the witness lost sight of him.


Officers were dispatched to a restaurant in Silverthorne the evening of Dec. 29, regarding an employee who had gone missing with the owner’s vehicle. Officers determined that the employee said he needed to borrow his boss’s car but would return it after an hour.

On Dec. 30, more than 24 hours later, the car was listed as stolen when it had not been returned. Later than evening, Denver police officers found the vehicle and the employee with drugs, including LSD.


On Jan. 7, an officer was dispatched to an assault call near Main Street in Breckenridge. Dispatch informed the officer that the fight had taken place about 30 minutes prior, and that the victim was taken to Summit Medical Center.

The officer drove to the hospital, where he took a statement from the victim. The man said he was driving northbound on Main Street behind a large, white pickup truck with Texas plates that was slowing down and speeding up. The man said he thought the driver might be lost, and flashed his lights for the truck to pull over.

When they both were side-by-side at the intersection of South Main Street and Lincoln Avenue, the driver of the truck got out and started yelling at the man. The man got out of his car and walked over to the driver, who started punching him in the face until the others in the truck told him to get back in and leave.

The man said the truck turned right, and he drove himself to the hospital. He had several abrasions on his face and a gash on his lip that required sutures.

The victim said the suspect was a clean-shaven, Caucasian male about six-feet tall. The pickup truck was a newer model, with no topper.


Officers were dispatched to a fight on Jan. 9, around 1:20 a.m. at La Cima Mall. When an officer arrived on-scene, he noticed a man fighting with a woman on the sidewalk out front.

The officer approached the man and asked him to put his hands behind his back. The man did not listen and the officer handcuffed him, having him sit in the back of the vehicle while he spoke with witnesses.

The officer noticed a small amount of blood in the man’s nose, but he declined medical attention. The man said he was drunk, that he “didn’t do anything wrong” and “was being beat up by a girl.”

The woman involved in the incident left with a group of people, who declined contact, saying they did not want to get involved.

One witness approached an officer, saying he saw the “whole thing.” He said he saw the man pull the woman out of a car and hit her in the face, about five times. Another witness filled out a statement, saying she saw the man repeatedly hit the girl in the face.

When the man was told he was under arrest for disorderly conduct, he began crying, and said, “This is (expletive), I did not do anything, I’m a (expletive) Eagle Scout.”

The man was transported to jail and booked on the charge.


Silverthorne police officers were dispatched to a cold burglary at a local market store on Dec. 14. Both cash and jewelry were reported stolen. Video footage shows an unknown male pushing on the glass front door before entering.


Breckenridge police were dispatched to the Satellite Parking Lot the morning of Jan. 10 for reports of a ski theft. An officer met with a couple, who said the passenger window of their blue 2002 Chevrolet pickup was smashed in, and their skis were missing.

The officer noted glass on the interior and exterior of the truck. The man’s skis were a pair of 2014, 179 cm blue K2 Coonback telemark skis, with attached black 22 Designs Axl bindings. He estimated their value at $400, saying they were “really beat up.”

The woman’s skis were pink Salomon Geisha skis, about 158 cm tall with gray Marker Duke bindings. She estimated their value at $400.

The man pointed out another car in the parking lot that had its window broken. The estimated replacement cost for the window was $200.


Officers were dispatched to a Silverthorne car dealership, after a fraud case turned into a stolen vehicle case. A man came to the dealership and wrote a check for a high-end vehicle. After signing all of the paperwork, the man left with the vehicle. Due to the holiday crunch, the dealership was not aware of the fraudulent check until four days later. The vehicle was recovered in Lakewood and charges are pending.

Support Local Journalism

Support Local Journalism

As a Summit Daily News reader, you make our work possible.

Summit Daily is embarking on a multiyear project to digitize its archives going back to 1989 and make them available to the public in partnership with the Colorado Historic Newspapers Collection. The full project is expected to cost about $165,000. All donations made in 2023 will go directly toward this project.

Every contribution, no matter the size, will make a difference.