SWAT team called to armed standoff in Silverthorne
May 27, 2017
UPDATE (12:14 a.m.): The emergency situation has concluded, and the “shelter in place” ban has been lifted. It is safe to resume normal activities in the area.
A SWAT team responded to a report of an armed individual barricaded in a residence on the 500 block of Ryan Gulch Road in Wildernest on Saturday afternoon, May 27.
According to a news release from the Summit County Sheriff's Office, deputies initially responded to a harassment call at approximately 4:53 p.m. A suspect then reportedly barricaded himself alone in a room and said he was armed with a gun.
A standoff involving more than a dozen of police officers lasted several hours, and Ryan Gulch road was closed to all traffic near Buffalo Drive.
The SWAT team arrived at around 7:45 p.m. A Summit Daily reporter on scene said that police "cocked their weapons and ordered (him) to seek shelter" at around 7:53 p.m. The reporter said that there was smoke in the air, although the source was unclear.
At press time, the situation had not yet been cleared. Visit http://www.summitdaily.com for the most up-to-date information.
Recommended Stories For You
Trending In: Crime
- Stalking victim says court case barely scratched the surface of 6-year battle with abuse
- Federal agents raid Silverthorne dentist’s office in prescription fraud probe
- Man who pleaded guilty in 2016 assault case sentenced to one year in jail, 8 years probation
- Evacuated Wildernest residents ‘absolutely shocked’ how fast Buffalo Mountain Fire near Silverthorne spread
- Breckenridge drug bust reveals cocaine being sold out of bars, restaurants
- Town staff recommends that Breckenridge should keep controversial troll in place for now
- Swastikas, SS bolts spray painted on Sheriff Jaime FitzSimons’ campaign posters
- ‘We knew it was arson’; Vail’s 1998 arson fires at Two Elk were the country’s ‘worst eco-terrorist attack’
- Loveland Ski Area honors former owner with symbolic first chair to open season
- Summit Spirits: What is the difference between a ghost and a spirit?