Winter weather, accidents cause I-70 closures
October 12, 2014
CDOT reopened Interstate 70 from Silverthorne to the Eisenhower Tunnel around noon and Vail Pass in both directions by 1:15 p.m. after closing those portions of the interstate Sunday morning.
CDOT Region 3 spokeswoman Tracy Trulove warned people to be safe on the roads Sunday after snow and icy conditions caused multiple vehicle spinouts and minor accidents.
No injuries were reported.
CDOT closed I-70 between Silverthorne and the Eisenhower Tunnel twice for about an hour each time Sunday while accidents were cleared. Highway 9 around Hoosier Pass also experienced an hour-long closure for the same reason.
The closures marked a seasonal milestone as the winter storm caused the first weather-related delays and reminded those who haven't already to check their tire tread and switch to snow tires.
According to the National Weather Service, the storm should be gone by Monday and the rest of the week calls for mostly sunny skies. Monday's high temperature will be in the low 40s, and after that expect highs in the upper 50s.
Trending In: Crime
- High Country Crime: Former teacher suspected of burglarizing bike shop
- Stalking victim says court case barely scratched the surface of 6-year battle with abuse
- Vail Sno-Cat thief arrested in a Boulder car dealership on drug charges
- Silverthorne sexual assault case thrown out during trial due to lost evidence
- Federal agents raid Silverthorne dentist’s office in prescription fraud probe
- Taft Conlin skier death lawsuit against Vail Resorts will have its day in court
- Dillon Amphitheatre’s million-dollar view now has the facility to match it
- Summit County schools to close Friday as teachers join thousands at protest in Denver
- Breckenridge Grand Vacations named best large company in Denver Post’s 2018 Top Workplaces list
- Breckenridge fire district’s first contested election in years could shape future of county ambulance system